Salinity Differences

peterneish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm currently in the midst of a bit of confusion in relation to salinity within my tank.

I use the Hanna salinity tester and of late, after much neglect, readings in my tank were a little low, around 32.5 ppt. I turned off my ATO in order to bring the salinity back up slowly to give me a current reading of around 35 ppt using the Hanna.

I took a sample of my water to my LFS today to get them to test it. They advised that the reading on their digital refractometer was around 37 ppt, not the 35 as given using the Hanna.

Once I got home I calibrated my Hanna tester and tested my tank again. Same result, around 35 ppt. I then tested the Hanna calibration solution, which gave a reading of 34.9.

I then tested the salt water which I get from my LFS and it gave a reading on 34.7. Surely, if my Hanna is faulty and reading low, then their salt water is also of a higher salinity?

Is it possible that the higher readings from my LFS are as a result of the drop in temperature of the sample that I collected from my tank? Or simply that their digital refractometer is incorrect and/or has not ben calibrated?

I'm keen to hear some experienced opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most salinity testers compensate for temperature. It’s possible that their digital refractometer could be off, but it’s also possible that your Hanna checker could be off also.
The easiest way to know is to make your own solution with a known value and check your tester against it. There is an easy recipe around the forum that is made with rodi water and table salt.
My experience with the Hanna salinity pen has not been great so I may be biased.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree- temperature plays a role

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm currently in the midst of a bit of confusion in relation to salinity within my tank.

I use the Hanna salinity tester and of late, after much neglect, readings in my tank were a little low, around 32.5 ppt. I turned off my ATO in order to bring the salinity back up slowly to give me a current reading of around 35 ppt using the Hanna.

I took a sample of my water to my LFS today to get them to test it. They advised that the reading on their digital refractometer was around 37 ppt, not the 35 as given using the Hanna.

Once I got home I calibrated my Hanna tester and tested my tank again. Same result, around 35 ppt. I then tested the Hanna calibration solution, which gave a reading of 34.9.

I then tested the salt water which I get from my LFS and it gave a reading on 34.7. Surely, if my Hanna is faulty and reading low, then their salt water is also of a higher salinity?

Is it possible that the higher readings from my LFS are as a result of the drop in temperature of the sample that I collected from my tank? Or simply that their digital refractometer is incorrect and/or has not ben calibrated?

Thanks in advance.

Peter
Temp should not be an issue for these devices.

I'd also advise that the two ppt range (35-37) is well within expectations for these sorts of devices.

The Hanna claims +/- 1 ppt
Milwaukee digital refractometer 887 claims +/- 2 ppt

Fortunately, reef aquaria have a wide range of acceptable salinity.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except for temp corrections. :)
Yes but they are minimal and its easy to use the chart. Most tanks run 77 to 80. The difference is their but its not enough for me to worry about.
The difference of 77 vs 80 is only .0004 difference. 1.0264 vs 1.0268.
This is using the chart. Guess I should see what the calculator say as I have neverr used it.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

Peter
Hey Peter, use this calibration fluid and your Hanna tester will be right on the money. Go-to BRS and read some of the reviews. I bought like 20 packs of the Hanna fluid and 2 packs of the Neptune conductivity packs and they are way more accurate. I test it against the Tropic Marin high precision hydrometer and am able to have total faith in the Hanna. Hope this helps ya.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230726_154859_Bulk Reef Supply.jpg
    Screenshot_20230726_154859_Bulk Reef Supply.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 32
OP
OP
P

peterneish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Peter, use this calibration fluid and your Hanna tester will be right on the money. Go-to BRS and read some of the reviews. I bought like 20 packs of the Hanna fluid and 2 packs of the Neptune conductivity packs and they are way more accurate. I test it against the Tropic Marin high precision hydrometer and am able to have total faith in the Hanna. Hope this helps ya.
Very helpful. I have order a few packs. Thank you :)

CABIX_81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have pretty much issue also with my salinity,, tank salinity is at 1.020, did a water change (20gal) . I mix 4gal and 1/2cup of salt each a gallon,, before i add it to my tank, i read 1.024, dunp it in and read the same as 1.020. Any advice would help

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have pretty much issue also with my salinity,, tank salinity is at 1.020, did a water change (20gal) . I mix 4gal and 1/2cup of salt each a gallon,, before i add it to my tank, i read 1.024, dunp it in and read the same as 1.020. Any advice would help

What are you using to measure salinity?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend a 35 ppt standard, not to/di as it is likely not going to be accurate using ro/di.

That said, I’m not sure what exactly you are having trouble with.

If the specific gravity is 1.020, I’d raise it to 1.026 by replacing evaporated water with seawater until you get there. Water changes are a poor way to adjust salinity.

CABIX_81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend a 35 ppt standard, not to/di as it is likely not going to be accurate using ro/di.

That said, I’m not sure what exactly you are having trouble with.

If the specific gravity is 1.020, I’d raise it to 1.026 by replacing evaporated water with seawater until you get there. Water changes are a poor way to adjust salinity.
Ok Ill try the method of using seawater in the next few days and update here.. much appreciated

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back