Hanna pH tester

simecircle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Being relatively new to this hobby, I wanted to sense check something. I recently bought a Hanna pH checker from Amazon which just did not work from the day I procured it. Having sent it back to Hanna, I've received an email from one of their agents who is proposing to charge me for a replacement filament. The filaments on these devices are expected to last for around 6 months usage so they do not warrant longer than this is what I was told initially.

I paid £60 ($80). Leaving aside the fact that I have had no usage of this at all as I made the mistake of not buying direct so they will not do anything for me whatsoever (having initially told me to send it back), are people genuinely only getting 6 months usage out of these things?

Thanks

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna checkers can sometimes be hit and miss. I have a calcium one that constantly drains batteries. Most of mine are still working fine in excess of the year I’ve had them.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi

Being relatively new to this hobby, I wanted to sense check something. I recently bought a Hanna pH checker from Amazon which just did not work from the day I procured it. Having sent it back to Hanna, I've received an email from one of their agents who is proposing to charge me for a replacement filament. The filaments on these devices are expected to last for around 6 months usage so they do not warrant longer than this is what I was told initially.

I paid £60 ($80). Leaving aside the fact that I have had no usage of this at all as I made the mistake of not buying direct so they will not do anything for me whatsoever (having initially told me to send it back), are people genuinely only getting 6 months usage out of these things?

Thanks
I would just return it to amazon and buy another one. This shouldnt be on you since its new..

OP
OP
S

simecircle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just return it to amazon and buy another one. This shouldnt be on you since its new..
Actually, Amazon will return it and offer a full refund. My issue is not really about the service so much now (although the guy’s attitude at Hanna shocked me, and the fact they asked me to return it, wasting quite a lot of time didn’t really enamour me).

I’m really asking whether it’s even worth buying another if, as the guy stated, it will only last 6 months and I have to spend £60 a year replacing filaments?

OP
OP
S

simecircle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna checkers can sometimes be hit and miss. I have a calcium one that constantly drains batteries. Most of mine are still working fine in excess of the year I’ve had them.
Yeah, I have the phosphate ULR and kH ones. For the money they’re pretty poorly manufactured as you have to fiddle about to get them to close, but they work pretty well aside from that and I’ve learned to put up with that; as the advantages far outweigh this irritation, but I’m unlikely to buy anything else from them at this point. The pH checker needs to give me more for the money than 6 months.

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should last 1-3 years. £60 is close to the price of refillable, double junction name brand probe compatible with most controllers:

OP
OP
S

simecircle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might take a look at something like this, thank you.
They should last 1-3 years. £60 is close to the price of refillable, double junction name brand probe compatible with most controllers:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back