OP
OP
J

JordanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing in the tank is a few brittle stars that I threw in off some live rock. I feed the brittle stars about 2 pieces of dry food every few days whenever I see one. I’m waiting for my clowns to finish the cupramine treatment and then I will probably do a water change and add them in. Ammonia has been 0 for about two weeks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing in the tank is a few brittle stars that I threw in off some live rock. I feed the brittle stars about 2 pieces of dry food every few days whenever I see one. I’m waiting for my clowns to finish the cupramine treatment and then I will probably do a water change and add them in. Ammonia has been 0 for about two weeks.

OK, that sounds like a fine plan. :)

OP
OP
J

JordanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. The clowns are going on week three with cupramine and prazipro. I’ll probably take them out soon and treat them with reef rally for brook potential, then add them into the tank. The nitrite is at 9.702ppm so it’s still going up for some reason.

OP
OP
J

JordanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the nitrite is finally coming down today it is at 8.98ppm.

OP
OP
J

JordanM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today nitrite is way down to 15ppb!. This weekend I’m going to do the 50% water change, add the clownfish and start skimming.

SirRoadwolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, based on what I gather here, my Hanna Nitrite ULR readings of 49.35 ppb NO2 should be fairly reasonable for a 90 gallon tank full of life, going into week 10?

teaktoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you use the Hanna ULR nitrite tester to test the high nitrite range somehow? I know with test kits you use a certain dilution factor to be able to do this, but are you able to dilute in the same way you would with a colormeter even if the results are not super accurate? Currently my tank is cycling and past the 200ppm mark that the meter tests in, but i would like to have an idea of how high the nitrite is above this.
The Hanna photometer and Nitite report the result using PPB rather than PPM. Convert to PPM if you want to reference PPM ;)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who really cares about nitrites? It's the middle of the road when cycling a tank, and has 0 bearing on a salt water tank.

When cycling a tank, watch for an ammonia drop, and nitrates adding up.

In 40 years of keeping fish, I have never bought nor tracked nitrites for any reason.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back