Happy Ending with a Moorish Idol

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a rough week with my QT this week and lost some fish to a gram negative bacterial infection.

All is good now and remaining fish are in treatment with NFG and doing better.

Figured I would share a happy story since the disease forum can be a rough place to be sometimes.

Some of you (@4FordFamily @Humblefish @dwwataz ) are in tune with my moorish idol situation. For those of you who are not, it goes something like this.

I have had him for roughly 120 days now. He went through full QT prior to making it to my DT (copper, GC, and metro/focus soaked food for 10 days). Within a couple weeks in DT he had lightened up on his eating. (He eats like a pig normally, and strange for an idol but he would eat anything you put in the tank). He came down with a bacterial infection so I had to catch him (that was fun). Move him to a QT and then he was treated with the trifecta for 12 days. I left him in QT for an additional week for observation. Last night a 30 minute bath in MB and back to DT in an acclimation box.

He has made a full recovery and back to eating anything and everything.

Day I moved him to QT and started ABX:
IMG_20180603_222429636_BURST001-4008x3006.jpg

Today in DT!
132665.jpeg
132668.jpeg
132669.jpeg

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you choose the trifecta over using NFG? I only ask because you have fish in NFG now. How do you choose one antibiotic over the other ?

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you choose the trifecta over using NFG? I only ask because you have fish in NFG now. How do you choose one antibiotic over the other ?

The only reason I didn't use NFG was I did not have any on hand when the idol needed to begin ABX and I had all 3 of the meds for the trifecta on hand. I now have NFG on hand, and would have used it instead if I had it at the time.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotcha, makes sense.

The only reason i ask is because I have meds for both. I'm always scared to use the NFG because it turns the water green hahahaha
Yeah furan-2 turns the water greenish, and NFG is like a dark blue green, NFG contains MB. That's the reason it "stains" the water so heavily. Which neither bother me, as long as the fish lives!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah furan-2 turns the water greenish, and NFG is like a dark blue green, NFG contains MB. That's the reason it "stains" the water so heavily. Which neither bother me, as long as the fish lives!
Big fan of NFG. Seems to work a bit faster than the trifecta. Could be wrong, just seems to get to and act on the infection a bit more efficiently. Nice job Kyle. Nice job. Beautiful fish. :) And thanks for the "Good news post" :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back