Happy Ending with a Moorish Idol

Justin84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Moorish about 8-9 days ago and he’s been in QT doing very well! Won’t eat too much frozen (LRS) but destroys Nori! I have some mysis flake I try to roll in with it and rubber band it to a piece of PVC.. I got him with out a streamer and his streamer is now about 2 inches! Really thin but growing fast! Now here’s the crazy part.... I live in DE and I’ll prob keep him through QT but most likely will give him away to a good home. My LFS doesn’t do too well in keeping Moorish Idols and I didn’t want some newbie who seen Nemo to purchase it. I got a good deal on him and I have all the meds I need in case he has any issues.. I won’t call it a rescue but... so hopefully he makes it thru QT and puts some good size on! Prob post some thing on R2R for a local deal around September!

Samandar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that they would mix well with an SPS dominant tank. I have very very little SPS.
Hi, thank you for your reply. Another question remains to me. How is morish idol behavior to LPS

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Moorish about 8-9 days ago and he’s been in QT doing very well! Won’t eat too much frozen (LRS) but destroys Nori! I have some mysis flake I try to roll in with it and rubber band it to a piece of PVC.. I got him with out a streamer and his streamer is now about 2 inches! Really thin but growing fast! Now here’s the crazy part.... I live in DE and I’ll prob keep him through QT but most likely will give him away to a good home. My LFS doesn’t do too well in keeping Moorish Idols and I didn’t want some newbie who seen Nemo to purchase it. I got a good deal on him and I have all the meds I need in case he has any issues.. I won’t call it a rescue but... so hopefully he makes it thru QT and puts some good size on! Prob post some thing on R2R for a local deal around September!

No issues there with mine!

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How is your Idol doing?

Dawn Dababneh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a reef tank. I am a fish guy, if he snacks he snacks. Worth having the fish! I do not keep fancy coral

It's my understanding that they are reef safe (with caution).
I’ve always wanted a Moorish Idol they are one of my favorite fish but, i have been hesitant to try. It’s been on my list for 15 years. I think I might just give it a try. Thank you for your input.

OP
OP
HotRocks

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always wanted a Moorish Idol they are one of my favorite fish but, i have been hesitant to try. It’s been on my list for 15 years. I think I might just give it a try. Thank you for your input.

Just make sure to have live food offerings ready upon arrival. Lots of nori as well!

I have one in QT right now that I have transitioned to frozen food in about a weeks time using live Brine and blackworms. I also shred up nori when they first arrive as well. Helps them get used to food floating in the water to go after. Also used a few clams on a half shell frozen.

EmptyWallet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Idols rock, just remember for the few success stories you hear, countless would perish. Only the most dedicated should attempt, I reckon I spent 10 hours a day on mine at the start to get him feeding. And even then, luck plays a huge role.

20180804_162751.jpg
20180804_162755.jpg

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get an updated picture of him?

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back