Hard Plumbing Jebao - Glue Question

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up a Jebao DCP-5000 to add to my saltwater mixing station barrels and I’m getting ready to start the plumbing.

I have 3/4” PVC that I’m planning to glue into the 3/4” inlet/outlet adapters on the pump but I’m not sure what sort of glue people use for this.

The pipe is obviously PVC, but I don’t know what material the Jebao fittings are made of.

This is the glue I have for the PVC, do I use this or do I need the transition glue I’ve heard people use with bulkheads?

3F3166C1-F9B2-4289-8060-EA2FEA4A4D69.jpeg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never used a jebao pump, but any other pump I like to put a union on. his way the pump can be changed out rather easily.

Unions are your friend when it come to plumbing a tank. The more the merrier.

colossal_tater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the ABS transition glue on mine because that’s all the glue I had left, and the Jebao parts seemed like they were ABS plastic. It’s been going leak free for 2 years.

image.jpg

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this is what I’m referring to. The Jebao comes with different size hardline plumbing adapters that fit into the union at the top of the pump.

I am planning on using unions, mainly for easy of assembly and alignment but I still need to glue the pvc to the pump adapter.

I’ll pickup some transition glue if that worked for you. Thank you both.

Attachments

• 7CD14DC6-EC11-485B-8930-D1AACD97662B.jpeg
    7CD14DC6-EC11-485B-8930-D1AACD97662B.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 60
OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, look into spa flex pipe.

It's soft hose, but can be glued with regular PVC glue. This will deaden the noise from the pump vibration through the hard piping.
I could only find it in 1.25” & 1.5” diameter locally, that was what I actually wanted but I’m not super concerned about the noise because this is going on my basement and the uniseals and the brute bins themselves should deaden what little noise there is.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I would use the oatey's green transition cement. ABS to PVC.

Regular PVC cement will work, but it may develop leaks over time. Seeing as it's submerged, and in the sump, the small leaks that happen were never a major issue, and the pipe stayed in place well enough.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Then I would use the oatey's green transition cement. ABS to PVC.

Regular PVC cement will work, but it may develop leaks over time. Seeing as it's submerged, and in the sump, the small leaks that happen were never a major issue, and the pipe stayed in place well enough.
This pump is going to be external. It’s for a mixing station not my tank.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I would use the green transition glue.

You may find that pump may cut out on you after a while from overheating(turn it off, let it cool, repeat till it shuts off again). Yes they say external, but they really need to be submerged for long term use.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After a trip to two hardware stores locally I couldn’t find the transition glue. So I’m proceeding with the glue I have. It seems like it’s bonding the joints because the brush turned black once it touched the black Jebao fittings.

I also found this: https://structuretech.com/abs-to-pvc/ which makes me think I’m overthinking this (like usual).

I’ve got a leak detector in the basement anyhow that shuts off the water if there’s a leak so we’ll see how it goes with the fusion glue. I’m thinking it’ll be fine since this is going to be a low pressure system but I’ll update with my results once I leak test everything.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use regular pvc primer & glue,or the blue rain-or-shine I believe its called. They also have clear you can use. But ALWAYS use a union and save yourself a ton of pain.

Can you use a thread x slip union ? Just because careful if so,idk how strong the Jebao threads are.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can use regular pvc primer & glue,or the blue rain-or-shine I believe its called. They also have clear you can use. But ALWAYS use a union and save yourself a ton of pain.

Can you use a thread x slip union ? Just because careful if so,idk how strong the Jebao threads are.
I ended up using oatey fusion glue. Touch wood, it’s working great.

the way the Jebao pumps attach to the plumbing, you can remove them without using unions for cleaning, but since the unions were so cheap, I put them in anyhow.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with a whirlpool in the mixing barrel. I won a huge MRC external pump (forget the specs, but it's huge! think it's something like 4200GPH). I put it on my mixing station, it creates a massive whirlpool in my barrel. I can mix 50G to crystal clear in an hour.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing wrong with a whirlpool in the mixing barrel. I won a huge MRC external pump (forget the specs, but it's huge! think it's something like 4200GPH). I put it on my mixing station, it creates a massive whirlpool in my barrel. I can mix 50G to crystal clear in an hour.
Yeah I’d say whirlpool is actually the desired effect. I used to some flexible locline and a VCA Random flow generator in my mixing barrel to create a swirling motion.

totally not necessary, but I had them laying around from my old tank.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back