My budget 75 gallon build

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all. Just wanted to start a thread showing my "budget" 125 gallon build. I was originally going to use my spare 75g until I saw a used 125 gallon for sale locally. Im using an eshopps eclipse L overflow and will have dual 3/4" returns. Sump is a 55g. Return pump is a Jebao dcq 10000. And have a bubble magus curve 5 elite. Here are a few pictures of where its at.
Water testing the 55g sump

The 125g and 75lbs of rock. Paid 250
for everything

Scrapped of the black paint and used my computer and some polorized sunglasses to make sure the glass wasn't tempered. Then I drilled the holes for the overflow and returns. I drilled from the inside going out so the gasket for the bulkheads will have a smooth surface to get a good seal.

Painted the back glass dark blue and installed the overflow box and return bulkheads.

Installing the glass baffles in the sump

And started working on the stand.

Should I add another support in the front center? Was wanting to keep it open to make working on the sump easier. Thanks for any input.

Edit: the 125 is now a freshwater tank with the 55g sump. Using a 75G for my saltwater.

Last edited:

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure about the stand without a center leg. I’m no structural engineer, but a single 2x4 spanning that distance on the front seems a little dangerous to me. I tend to over build things, but I’d at least use two or three 2x4’s for that span.

If it was my stand, I’d make a laminated beam and sandwich a piece of plywood between two 2x4’s. Glue the whole thing together and put a bunch of screws in to hold the whole thing together. The strength comes from the alternating grain orientations and the glue. This would be significantly stronger than just two 2x4’s.

With a glass tank, you want to keep the deflection of the stand to under 1/8” and preferably 1/16” or less.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a center brace on the front center. And added extra 2x4s on each corner going vertical. So the top is supported by 10 2x4s and 6 2x4s go from the floor the the top. Also used wood glue and 2.5" decking screws to hold everything in place.

jaren45

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need a center brace. You'll most likely have to build around the sump. I'd probably bump the top rails up to 2x6 personally, but 2x4s are strong enough

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 6' 125.

OP
OP
S

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the plywood top, does it matter how thick the plywood is? I have the 2x4s going across and the frame of the tank will be resting on the main 2x4 box frame. Was thinking about getting 1/2" plywood. Or should I do 3/4" for added strength? And for the sides, would 1/4" or 1/2" mdf be better?

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all. Just wanted to start a thread showing my "budget" 125 gallon build. I was originally going to use my spare 75g until I saw a used 125 gallon for sale locally. Im using an eshopps eclipse L overflow and will have dual 3/4" returns. Sump is a 55g. Return pump is a Jebao dcq 10000. And have a bubble magus curve 5 elite. Here are a few pictures of where its at.
Water testing the 55g sump

The 125g and 75lbs of rock. Paid 250
for everything

Scrapped of the black paint and used my computer and some polorized sunglasses to make sure the glass wasn't tempered. Then I drilled the holes for the overflow and returns. I drilled from the inside going out so the gasket for the bulkheads will have a smooth surface to get a good seal.

Painted the back glass dark blue and installed the overflow box and return bulkheads.

Installing the glass baffles in the sump

And started working on the stand.

Should I add another support in the front center? Was wanting to keep it open to make working on the sump easier. Thanks for any input.
Honestly I don’t think with a glass tank you have to worry about it as much because the bottom is reinforced with the bracing on tank. Not like acrylics

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the plywood top, does it matter how thick the plywood is? I have the 2x4s going across and the frame of the tank will be resting on the main 2x4 box frame. Was thinking about getting 1/2" plywood. Or should I do 3/4" for added strength? And for the sides, would 1/4" or 1/2" mdf be better?
So if you really don’t want to butt that center post in the front you could always run 1 1/8” ply up top. I would run 1/2” on sides use birch don’t use msg it will degrade eventually.

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say naw do a dark espresso or black itll give it that contrast. I'm going to be painting mine gray on black. With stand being black and the trim on the doors being grey.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%

Back