Hard Plumbing Vs Soft Plumbing

cloud9aquariums

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 18, 2017
Messages
116
Reaction score
100
Location
Rochester
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all seen it. The pretty colored pvc neatly arranged to make the sump/stand look like a tidy work of art. And then there's those of us who chose budget and basic functionality. Spa flex and Ribbed Silicone hose.

The question is:
WHICH DIRECTION DO I GO ON MY NEW SETUP

Show me pictures of your sump/stand masterpiece! What's your favorite feature you added for the Plumbing? Do you have any regrets?
 
Hard and color coordinated...if not on a tight buget.
20230625_145155.jpg
 
Agreed. Should be hard line except the 10” after pumps.
 
Clean setup! I do love the look of the hard plumbing. Spa flex can have a mind of its own
I agree. I plumbed the 1ft vertical return run inside the sump with it and its got quite the memory lol.

Disclaimer though I never filled this tank with water. After i built it, the place i decided I wanted my tank was a scooch too small.

So sad.....
 
I agree. I plumbed the 1ft vertical return run inside the sump with it and its got quite the memory lol.

Disclaimer though I never filled this tank with water. After i built it, the place i decided I wanted my tank was a scooch too small.

So sad.....
Ah no! So we're taking a wall out right because downsizing isn't a thing
 
We've all seen it. The pretty colored pvc neatly arranged to make the sump/stand look like a tidy work of art. And then there's those of us who chose budget and basic functionality. Spa flex and Ribbed Silicone hose.

The question is:
WHICH DIRECTION DO I GO ON MY NEW SETUP

Show me pictures of your sump/stand masterpiece! What's your favorite feature you added for the Plumbing? Do you have any regrets?
One vote for PVC
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7546.jpeg
    IMG_7546.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 180
Looks like you had alot of planning involved in that setup! I like the use of both hard and soft plumbing
The soft plumbing is needed between the two return pumps to keep out vibration. Silicone tubing is even better. I just set the tanks up where I wanted them, then went to plumbing. No plans. Use lots of true unions and you can't really make a mistake.
 
Last edited:
I’m using a combination of both. Sections of PVC with vinyl tubing connectors into my overflow box and return. My sump is in the basement, so I ran pvc through the floor then used more flexible tubing connections on the ends. I’m no expert and working on a budget. Here’s my DIY system
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 187
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 150
Hard and color coordinated...if not on a tight buget.
20230625_145155.jpg
This looks very similar to the system I'm currently attempting. Could you please describe what you did in this photo and why?
Bean animal with the primary drain 2nd from right?
Durso dead center?
Returns from sump to display far left and right?
 
This looks very similar to the system I'm currently attempting. Could you please describe what you did in this photo and why?
Bean animal with the primary drain 2nd from right?
Durso dead center?
Returns from sump to display far left and right?
Just a normal synergy shadow bean animal overflow.
Main siphon and trickle pipe into the main overflow chamber and emergency into the skimmer section.

Returns far left and right.

20230625_145340.jpg
20230625_145427.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new