Hard tank rest (epxoy mess)

jacobcoral

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 21, 2025
Messages
373
Reaction score
109
Location
Pennsylvania
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally added two part epoxy to my reef aquarium and it crashed the system. The system was up for about a year and I was just mounting Coral and was trying something different.

I am completely emptying the tank and getting new sand and cleaning everything and going to reset. I’m going to use already cycled Live rock from a friend, but I was wondering if you guys have any tips and tricks.

Since the rock is already cycled, I know it will jumpstart the cycling process, but should I have a cleanup crew right away to help reduce further introduction of bacteria and algae. Is there anything I can do to ensure the tank success from the beginning?
 
If the rock is already cycled, you'll be able to bypass that part. The sand bed will need to catch up so give everything a chance to stabilize before adding anything else. I'd probably give it a solid month or two just to make sure everything has a chance to establish a good base. CUC isn't a bad idea as long as there is something for them to graze dependent on the condition of the rock you're getting from your friend


You'll likely get an array of opinions on this. Luckily none of it will be new to you since you already had your tank established before the crash.
 
If the rock is already cycled, you'll be able to bypass that part. The sand bed will need to catch up so give everything a chance to stabilize before adding anything else. I'd probably give it a solid month or two just to make sure everything has a chance to establish a good base. CUC isn't a bad idea as long as there is something for them to graze dependent on the condition of the rock you're getting from your friend


You'll likely get an array of opinions on this. Luckily none of it will be new to you since you already had your tank established before the crash.
So
Just start with some cycled rock pretty much and do the waiting game?
 
So
Just start with some cycled rock pretty much and do the waiting game?
If it were me, that's what I would do. Utilize the beneficial bacteria from the live rock to seed the sand. Give it a good 30-45 days. Something else to consider would be anything from your buddy's tank transferring to yours so fishless would be a must.
 
If it were me, that's what I would do. Utilize the beneficial bacteria from the live rock to seed the sand. Give it a good 30-45 days. Something else to consider would be anything from your buddy's tank transferring to yours so fishless would be a must.
So no fish then?
 
Why do you think two part Epoxy crashed your system? I've used that stuff for years to build reefs and mount corals without any issues.
 
Why do you think two part Epoxy crashed your system? I've used that stuff for years to build reefs and mount corals without any issues.

same question - i've used it in the past and Im about to mount 16 frags I picked up this weekend.
 
Why do you think two part Epoxy crashed your system? I've used that stuff for years to build reefs and mount corals without any issues.
It was 2 part epoxy and it didn’t cure correctly because I didn’t follow all instructions, leaching chemicles and making the water cloudy.
 
Are we talking about any of these or something entirely different?

1760975606321.png


1760975655913.png
 
Plenty of people use it and it cures under water. It is safe for fish and inverts.

How did you use it?
 
So no fish then?
Depending on if you QT for ich/velvet. If you typically don't worry about it, then I would not worry about a fallow period. outside of that, it would just depend on how much you trust your friend's tank. Obviously if their tank is amazing with no issues, you should be home free.
 
I agree with @Hemmbone20 and @BZOFIQ, That stuff does not typically cause issues. It's been widely used in the hobby for years. You mentioned that you tried something different. Are you saying you just tried a different epoxy or that you tried in in a way outside of the normal use?

Edit: I just saw that you stated that you didn't use it correctly.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new