Hard white dots on zoas

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these hard white dots on my zoas.... ive had zoa pox before and it wasn't really like this. This almost looks like sand stuck between the zoas but I've tried blowing it off and even picked it up and tried to brush it off with my fingers. It feels like its part of the zoa's body, and won't come off.

Any ideas?

IMG_1012.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not actually a paly with sand inclusion in the body (look it up if you don't know what I'm referring to, palys actually incorporate sand into their bodies) then I'd also say pox ^. Treatable if you go after it while it's still in this stage.

GoFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have sand in the tank? It looks/sounds like some stray sand particles. If sand sits in one place for long enough they can start to grab hold looking more area to grow

OP
OP
cpark645

cpark645

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really think its just sand. I just thought it was odd because I couldn't dust it off using a baster or my fingers. I guess it can really stick to the zoas if it's there for long enough. I'm thinking that's what happened, because they look healthy and there's no other white spots on the zoa.

Moss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have nerite snails? Mine leave eggs on nearly everything including my zoas. The eggs are hard little oval shaped dots. It looked like the live rock your zoas are on might also have a few white dots. The flexing of the zoa's surface when it opens an closes will eventually cause the egg to fall off.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back