Hardest decision: LED or T5's

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know about a lot more heat mine are barely warm to touch definitely not able to heat up a small closet much less a whole room.... Maybe the older LED fixture use less watts(and grow less coral) but the new ones pretty much use more watt or equivalent to T5... XR30w doesnt stand for 30w that beast uses up to 190w.. I would also guess it probably gets as warm as a t5.

Well I was over driving mine with the Ice Cap but they put out a lot more heat and use more power than my LED's for sure I have run an amp readigs on all my lights

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the more types of lighting sources you can have, the better.

• Nothing beats the crispness and coverage of metal halide.
  • Nothing beats the coverage and ease of use of T5.
  • Nothing beats the color pop and controllability of LED.

You'll notice I didn't say anything about how each one of them grows corals... as they can all grow corals just fine IMO. Personally, I'm technically using all three. I'm using a MH/T5 hybrid fixture. However, with the release of the Biotek Marine LED T5 retro lamps, I'm using two of the 20k LED bulbs... along with two T5 bulbs and two 250 watt MH bulbs.

Bebow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0699.JPG
I'm all for both! Switched to LED but missed my T5s so I built my own light for my 180.

IMG_0396.JPG

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I miss which Hydra's the 26, 52 or the 52hd? I have used mh, T5 and LED. I have a brand new 6 foot hood that is 3ea 250 watt hqi double ended mh, eight T5 and led moon lights never been out of box as I went with 2 Orphek Atlantiks and never looked back. I live where it can get over 120 degrees in the summer. Did not want to use a chiller. The two Orpheks use about 320 watts long way from the combo hood of almost 1,200 watts then add the chiller and bulb replacement.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know about a lot more heat mine are barely warm to touch definitely not able to heat up a small closet much less a whole room.... Maybe the older LED fixture use less watts(and grow less coral) but the new ones pretty much use more watt or equivalent to T5... XR30w doesnt stand for 30w that beast uses up to 190w.. I would also guess it probably gets as warm as a t5.

I know one light in itself will hardly make a difference but if you change all your house to LED it can make more of a difference. Same for my tank. I don't just run energy effiencent lighting on the fish tank but the entire house. That way the always on score day after day is going to help in the end.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had t5s when i first started my tank then went to leds only for about 7 months then went led with t5 supplement for a few months. Then I just went back to just t5s just liked the way t5s light the tank and my coral growth has been better since the switch back to t5s only. My personal opinion is that to get the most out of leds you need a par meter to really dial them in.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I did it with Kessil AP700s and Aruba Sun T5s.
8365ece04402a8708f40d410403b9ea9.jpg

912685cb3915ecd30223b4301433c726.jpg

It's working great and doesn't look so bad.

BobDale

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fought with the lighting debacle for years. I started with t12, how, then I tried the early LED syystems (solaris), t5s, MH, and combinations thereof. I finally made the move to radions. I'll stick here.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 make very little heat. I love just straight T5 great growth, no shimmer(i find it annoying unless you have a dedicated fish room).

Water Depth Sumulation
You know, with that "dead/no shimmer look" T5's actually do a pretty good deep-water simulation.

Effects like shimmer, shadows and even directionality of light actually disappear at around 50 meters (if I recall correctly). Below that, light is directionless, so there is no "sunrise" or "sunset"...light just fades up in the morning and fades out at night. :cool:

I always imagined halides as emulating surface lighting conditions with all the shimmer and stark shadows. (I am still a halide fan even though I don't run em anymore.)

Well I was over driving mine with the Ice Cap but they put out a lot more heat and use more power than my LED's for sure I have run an amp readigs on all my lights

Light and Heat
(@rock_lobster too)
As far as T5 heat vs LED heat.

Heat generated always corresponds 1:1 with power used from the wall. (First law of thermodynamics)

The main difference conferred by LED is the lack of IR light. No IR means no indirect heat generated by the emitter (i.e. waste light) only to be converted directly to heat by the water. This is a double-whammy against halide and T5 efficiency-wise since, vs LED, extra power is used just to create heat and waste light.

Reef LED lights don't have any of that action.

The electric bill arguement is usually invalid when comparing equivalent light output between LED and T5 for instance. Obviously a different story if you are running 400 watt radiums.

I don't think you should listen to anyone in the thread to be honest. I think you should try to see all the options in person before deciding, or buy used so you can resell if you wanna explore other options.

+1

Definitely ideal to see lights first hand if at all possible. You're at a disadvantage buying lights sight unseen. (Not in terms of growing corals, just in terms of your own expectations of the look. We are the picky ones. :) )

Power Use
If you're just comparing light power usage, the difference can be pretty significant, but in reality savings gets shrunk by your heaters kicking on more/for longer to compensate.

You have to do a little work with a Kill-A-Watt meter and the new lights to see what your actual overall $$ saving could be.

Costs
There is still a huge difference in costs between LED and halide/T5 when you add in bulb costs and then figure out the expenses over 5 or 10 years. Even premium-priced LED systems come out on top fairly quick. If you want a little shock, try running the numbers for a basic DIY system vs halide or T5. :eek::confused:

Run T5's if you like them. Run MH if you like them. But if you're concerned with "bang for your buck" then your solution has to be LED. (And LED's can do a reasonable job of emulating MH or T5 if set up right...so it doesn't even have to come down to issues of "look".)

A new Cayman/Ballast Combo + Radium 250W will run you $350. Replacement bulbs seem to be $83. 1.5 times per year makes them $124 per year, on average. A ballast for that system will pull around 350W at the wall. At 10 hours per day, that's $153/year.

A comparable LED system could cost about $800. 190W seems like a reasonable estimate for the LED system....it doesn't account for the ballast, but nobody runs all the LED's at 100% and sunrise/sunset makes our estimate very conservative anyway. 190W at 12 hours per day is $100/year.

Year 1
Halide: $544 (= 350+(83*.5)+153)
LED: $900 ( = 800+(83*0)+100)

Year 5
Halide: $1322....or $265 per year
LED: $1300....or $260 per year

Year 10
Halide: $2295....or $230 per year
LED: $1800....or about $180 per year

Again, if you buy or build an LED system for less, then you're even farther ahead, even sooner.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water Depth Sumulation
You know, with that "dead/no shimmer look" T5's actually do a pretty good deep-water simulation.

Effects like shimmer, shadows and even directionality of light actually disappear at around 50 meters (if I recall correctly). Below that, light is directionless, so there is no "sunrise" or "sunset"...light just fades up in the morning and fades out at night. :cool:

I always imagined halides as emulating surface lighting conditions with all the shimmer and stark shadows. (I am still a halide fan even though I don't run em anymore.)

Light and Heat
(@rock_lobster too)

Heat generated always corresponds 1:1 with power used from the wall. (First law of thermodynamics)

The main difference conferred by LED is the lack of IR light. No IR means no indirect heat generated by the emitter (i.e. waste light) only to be converted directly to heat by the water. This is a double-whammy against halide and T5 efficiency-wise since, vs LED, extra power is used just to create heat and waste light.

+1

Definitely ideal to see lights first hand if at all possible. You're at a disadvantage buying lights sight unseen. (Not in terms of growing corals, just in terms of your own expectations of the look. We are the picky ones. :) )

Power Use
If you're just comparing light power usage, the difference can be pretty significant, but in reality savings gets shrunk by your heaters kicking on more/for longer to compensate.

You have to do a little work with a Kill-A-Watt meter and the new lights to see what your actual overall $$ saving could be.

Costs
There is still a huge difference in costs between LED and halide/T5 when you add in bulb costs and then figure out the expenses over 5 or 10 years. Even premium-priced LED systems come out on top fairly quick. If you want a little shock, try running the numbers for a basic DIY system vs halide or T5. :eek::confused:

Run T5's if you like them. Run MH if you like them. But if you're concerned with "bang for your buck" then your solution has to be LED. (And LED's can do a reasonable job of emulating MH or T5 if set up right...so it doesn't even have to come down to issues of "look".)

A new Cayman/Ballast Combo + Radium 250W will run you $350. Replacement bulbs seem to be $83. 1.5 times per year makes them $124 per year, on average. A ballast for that system will pull around 350W at the wall. At 10 hours per day, that's $153/year.

A comparable LED system could cost about $800. 190W seems like a reasonable estimate for the LED system....it doesn't account for the ballast, but nobody runs all the LED's at 100% and sunrise/sunset makes our estimate very conservative anyway. 190W at 12 hours per day is $100/year.

Year 1

Year 5

Year 10

Again, if you buy or build an LED system for less, then you're even farther ahead, even sooner.

I'd love to know the percentage of people that keep their LEDs 5 or 10 years XD

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to know the percentage of people that keep their LEDs 5 or 10 years XD

Very valid....and how many require replacement power supplies, emitters, etc along the way.

I can add this:
  • I ran my halide system for around 5 years.
  • My old Panorama LED strips ($90 * 4; 48 watts total) burned out in <5 years. It may have been about 5 years. Grew some bomb corals though. :)
  • My DIY system is still kicking at >5 years. I have had a few failures...maybe 10% total. $15-$25 if I needed to buy replacements. Could be just failed power supplies, but it's a bulb format, so they get replaced as a whole bulb. I'll troubleshoot when I need parts. ;)
  • My commercial LED system isn't quite 5 years old yet (an older Razor) and has needed an $80 replacement part.

Last edited:

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water Depth Sumulation

Light and Heat
(@rock_lobster too)

+1

Power Use

Costs

Year 1

Year 5

Year 10

Nice write up I agree with you but to lazy to do the math LOL

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most tropical SPS corals grow at 30 meters or less, so shimmer certainly is present.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most tropical SPS corals grow at 30 meters or less, so shimmer certainly is present.

True average! :)

But...where they can grow is much more diverse than what folks think most of the time. Where "most corals grow" truly varies from location to location. Sometimes pretty significantly.

It seems like most T5-lovers are trying to run a surface-light simulation anyway so this is little more than me talking about what I read and hypothesizing out loud. ;) :cool:

It's always struck me as odd how (unlike the freshwater side of the hobby) there are hardly and biotope or single-species aquariums on the reef side.
Why not a 30 Meter Biotope? Or a 90 Meter? :)

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True average! :)

But...where they can grow is much more diverse than what folks think most of the time. Where "most corals grow" truly varies from location to location. Sometimes pretty significantly.

It seems like most T5-lovers are trying to run a surface-light simulation anyway so this is little more than me talking about what I read and hypothesizing out loud. ;) :cool:

It's always struck me as odd how (unlike the freshwater side of the hobby) there are hardly and biotope or single-species aquariums on the reef side.
Why not a 30 Meter Biotope? Or a 90 Meter? :)
Recently, there was a post documenting an awesome Euphyllia-dominated tank:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/aussie-euphyillia-dominated-tank.282744/

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back