Hardest decision: LED or T5's

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both for me. My corals seem to have no complaints.
3ec63bf6282b8a2a661a2d8b139c543f.jpg

mlivvy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from a Radion to a dimmable 6 bulb ATI. I removed the center bulbs and added some nanobox leds. The t5's ramp with the led's. Best lighting decision i've done!

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just thought I would chime in. Way back 20 or more years ago I started with MH, then switched to T5's on an Ice cap ballest, Had great groth and look on both but they both produced a lot of heat. I have switched to LED's and love them less power and far less heat, in the winter time it was not so bad but in Georgia in the summer it made a big difference Love my LED's

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point, heat is definitely something to think about especially with a canopy.

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 make very little heat. I love just straight T5 great growth, no shimmer(i find it annoying unless you have a dedicated fish room).

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5 make very little heat. I love just straight T5 great growth, no shimmer(i find it annoying unless you have a dedicated fish room).
Well I was over driving mine with the Ice Cap but they put out a lot more heat and use more power than my LED's for sure I have run an amp readigs on all my lights

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice aquaman! I like the rock work you have in there!

Anyone else with FTS? I always think it's important to include FTS of your personal tank when giving advise. Of course not in this thread, but I have seen people that just HATE something in the hobby be it lights or equipment - you name it, but their personal tank isn't something that many would aspire to have. I think it's good to listen to people who's tanks you want to duplicate or surpass. Don't like my tank, that's cool! I posted a pic so you can see what I have done and take the advise or not!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd side with @Frop and @Rick.45cal and say just try to settle down more with the Hydra.

Find the color you like; set it; forget it. After that, pretend you have a halide system that you can't adjust at all. :)

You'll find that in no time you'll be focusing on all the other things that contribute to coral color.

(Consistency in chemistry; consistency in feeding; keeping flow up as corals grow in, mostly. There are no magic numbers to quest for that I've seen. Well....zero or near-zero nutrients is always bad....that might be the only "magic number." ;) )

Corals will get VERY HAPPY with seemingly almost any light if you otherwise treat em right.

In case it helps you get started, there are several good threads that pop up in this search on the R2R website:
sps losing color

Or you can open a thread about your tank, or coral color, etc, of your own in one of the related forums.

Welcome, and good luck!

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice aquaman! I like the rock work you have in there!

Anyone else with FTS? I always think it's important to include FTS of your personal tank when giving advise.

I always think it's important to include FTS of your personal tank when giving advise. Of course not in this thread...

Well, folks are always able to click someone's avatar or username and go look at someone's threads...which I think you've also advocated here. I'm not sure more than that is required just to post advice. Free advice is worth the price paid each and every time. ;)

Plus...
  • Photos can be faked as easily as opinions.
  • They are worth no more than opinion – perhaps less since they can be even more subjective.
I think I understand the sentiment, but the fact is you have to read what people say and then engage your brain.

There aren't any shortcuts. Pictures or no pictures. Movies or no movies. No matter who you are.

I was on the Internet and learning to reef back before there were pictures – Usenet. o_O

Critical thinking worked just as well back then as it works today! :cool:

(If you can't recognize a BS'er, they're gonna get you whether it's in word, photo, or vid...or all three.)

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't resist a friendly rebuttal below in red. I really never intend for asking for pictures to seem nasty or anything like that. I really do think it helps people!

Well, folks are always able to click someone's avatar or username and go look at someone's threads...which I think you've also advocated here. I'm not sure more than that is required just to post advice. Free advice is worth the price paid each and every time. ;)

I do not think that showing pictures should be required to post advise, however when someone that might be new is asking for opinions it's not exactly intuitive to search out previous threads especially when there are a lot of people chiming in and of course that does not guarantee finding photos. Free advise is worth the price paid but it doesn't mean that all free advise should be valued the same.

I once just said "my tank link is in my signature" after I posted, but I found that vary rarely did someone look, however even later in the same threads I would post a picture and get a very different response which is why I now include pictures.

Plus...
  • Photos can be faked as easily as opinions. While this might happen it seems a drastic long shot at best
  • They are worth no more than opinion – perhaps less since they can be even more subjective. EXACTLY!!! That is why I so strongly advocate pictures! What is a great tank for someone might not be what another wants. The entire point is to get people critically thinking, I have noticed on forums how easy it is to go with a group conscious, but someone might not know to ask about their (other people's) systems, they might have all soft coral or who knows what else. A picture shows species, color, density, diversity and to some extent over all health.

I think I understand the sentiment, but the fact is you have to read what people say and then engage your brain.Pretty much my point above and I am happy to continue to ask for pictures! How many times do we hear about what lighting works or doesn't, how horrible some issues are and, just for example, a person hates LEDs because of bad growth and shading, but then the post a FTS and you see that yes they have SPS, but they are all 1" frags! Nothing wrong with that of course but it puts things in context.

There aren't any shortcuts. Pictures or no pictures. Movies or no movies. No matter who you are.

I was on the Internet and learning to reef back before there were pictures – Usenet. o_O

Critical thinking worked just as well back then as it works today! :cool:

(If you can't recognize a BS'er, they're gonna get you whether it's in word, photo, or vid...or all three.)

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy LEDs, save $$$$ for corals, or watch your electric bill rise, and take stock in bulbs. Coral vendors are switching to LEDs

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy LEDs, save $$$$ for corals, or watch your electric bill rise, and take stock in bulbs. Coral vendors are switching to LEDs

The electric bill arguement is usually invalid when comparing equivalent light output between LED and T5 for instance. Obviously a different story if you are running 400 watt radiums.

I don't think you should listen to anyone in the thread to be honest. I think you should try to see all the options in person before deciding, or buy used so you can resell if you wanna explore other options.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the full tank shots matter? I've seen beautiful stuff with T5 and Hydras. There are more variables than lights alone. Main example is the person running the tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back