Harem of centropyge angel fish

  • Thread starter Thread starter tj w
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 10, 2015
Messages
2,170
Reaction score
1,230
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I'm just curious if anyone has had or tried a harem of these guys. I've read that most species live within groups of 3-7 on the reef and just curious as to if anyone has tried. A group of flames or multicolor would be gorgeous. All thoughts are welcome, thanks!
 
I have a pair of Shepards that are awesome. At the time I could of gotten a trio & totally regret not getting the third now. The smallest is very tiny & they had others that small at the time so it would of been easy. The large tank definetly helps.
 
That's awesome, I bet they're gorgeous. I imagine the large tank does help, I have a 300 so I'm tempted to try it. Anybody else have anything to add?
 
I kept a trio of potters, a large male and two small females. The females occasionally bickered but it worked out.

I've mixed dwarf angels too and the key is 3+, the more you have the better. Also best to have 1 or 3+ of any one species, IME
 
Thanks 4ford, one quick question. How can you sex centropyge? I can't find much info.
 
Size is always a no brainer to be safe.
 
So, the small ones are always male? When do they change? Does another male have to be present to change sex?
 
Thanks 4ford, one quick question. How can you sex centropyge? I can't find much info.
It's difficult but in the case of potters a primarily orange larger fish is a male (often brighter as well), a primarily purple fish is female and they're generally smaller.

For other centopyge it's even harder...

They can change sex, too. Buying small angels is best as they're typically female still.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new