OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome guys... thanks for all the replies... I definitely have some thinking to do... :)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that video is awesome! do you know how big the tank was? i had a harem in my tank and never got a display like that
sorry, just looked at the vid on youtube again and it didn't say how big the tank was... :)
That video was taken by Jake Adams of Stephen Hurlocks 1,200 gallon aquarium. Here's a little write-up with more info that Jake did on the spawning event: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/4/fish

Marv, in situations like this I always purchase all females and let nature have its way. I've had the best success with this, and it always saves you a couple bucks ;)

You might contact waynesreef, as I know he has (or had) 5 or 6 in his tank for quite a while. I don't think he's too far from you either - you could go check 'em out!

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That video was taken by Jake Adams of Stephen Hurlocks 1,200 gallon aquarium. Here's a little write-up with more info that Jake did on the spawning event: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/4/fish

Marv, in situations like this I always purchase all females and let nature have its way. I've had the best success with this, and it always saves you a couple bucks ;)

You might contact waynesreef, as I know he has (or had) 5 or 6 in his tank for quite a while. I don't think he's too far from you either - you could go check 'em out!
I already have a pair that have been together for months... I just wanna add a few more females to complete the harem... will this work? am I stuck with the pair I have now? if I was to do it again, I would pick up 6 or 7 females and have them fight it out on who becomes the male... :confused:

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea, it will work. I'd add your existing pair and the new female acquisitions at the same time if possible. IMO adding them all at once to your new display prior to any other fish introduction would be ideal... either that or adding at the same time to QT would be next IMO. Regardless, ideally you want to remove your existing pair from their current "home," and add the new acquisitions to the QT/DT at the same time as your existing pair - by stirring things up a bit you'll decrease initial aggressiveness and increase success rate while creating the harem.

IMO/IME I would definitely add your flame harem prior to any C. lineatus or C. rhomboidalis.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yea, it will work. I'd add your existing pair and the new female acquisitions at the same time if possible. IMO adding them all at once to your new display prior to any other fish introduction would be ideal... either that or adding at the same time to QT would be next IMO. Regardless, ideally you want to remove your existing pair from their current "home," and add the new acquisitions to the QT/DT at the same time as your existing pair - by stirring things up a bit you'll decrease initial aggressiveness and increase success rate while creating the harem.

IMO/IME I would definitely add your flame harem prior to any C. lineatus or C. rhomboidalis.
hehehe... coolio... :)

man, it'll be riot when I add them in the tank... :D :D :D they'll be pretty much the sole residence of the tank... then after a few months, add the Rhomboid & Lineatus at the same time... :)

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you add your wrasses right and acclimate them with a breeders cup or box you can keep all those wrasses with no problems at all..just shoot me pm's on whatever you need marvin i can help you with whatever you need...keeping wrasses is my thing

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marvin to answer your q's i would add the females first..but also keep in mind that with alot of fairys the females will be more aggressive than male..i would add the pair of Rhomboids as my first fairys to the tank..both the male and females are one of the least aggrssive of fairys...then the lineatus not long after that if you have both the rhomboid and lineatus pairs i would add them at the same time if not then i would go, rhomboid, lineatus, and then the flames...i would go with one male and 5 females..and try to get the females in diffrent sizes if u can that will also help cut down on aggression

I agree with everything. Acclimation boxes are key, also.

IMG_5783.jpg

meisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going for this too but from the group of little females method. Seems easier and cheaper too. I bought four TINY females a year ago....lost one right away for unknown reasons, the other three did nicely for another 6 months, all at least doubling in size. One was/is clearly becoming the male however I lost a second female about four months ago again no apparent reason. Perhaps there is a lot of female-female competition like in the Genicanthus angels for example? I had them in a tub so I couldnt say what the deal was. Anyway, good luck!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back