Harem of HI Flame wrasse?!?

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your thoughts of this? I already have a pair in the 28g and will be moved in the 110g when it's ready... they will be housed with a pair of Snowcasso's and other tank mates will be a pair of Lineatus, a pair of Rhomboids, and a few other male wrasses...

- should I add the HI females first to complete the harem?

or

- should I add the Lineatus, Rhomboids and other wrasses before I add the HI females?

any input is appreciated... Thanks....

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw, here's my inspiration... too sweet!!! ;)

[YOUTUBE]bhjzCp88zIw[/YOUTUBE]

nellahtes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that video is awesome! do you know how big the tank was? i had a harem in my tank and never got a display like that

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember mine?!? hopefully, he'll carry over the flashing behavior he does before the lights turn off... and I'm sure he'll appreciate the extra room... :)

[youtube]oi4GLzAn524[/youtube]

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, you need a few of those Marv!
:) :D :)

then, I'll need a HD camcorder to take vids... LoLz...

anyway, does anybody personally or know of someone that have successfully kept a harem? and the method they used to introduced the females... I've read before to get multiple females and let the most dominant one become a male/super male... it's all natural... but I really like this male... he has been developing the blue lines... just noticed it more earlier when he was flashing... :) I hope I don't get any issues when I add the females...

Last edited:

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From all the books I have read, this seems to be the concensus

~ should I add the HI females first to complete the harem ~

I would add them first so when the larger males are added they are too busy getting to know the tank than to worry about them.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! Yes, I remember yours! :D A meant a few females! I am sure you are VERY anxious to get that 110 rolling now.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From all the books I have read, this seems to be the concensus

~ should I add the HI females first to complete the harem ~

I would add them first so when the larger males are added they are too busy getting to know the tank than to worry about them.
cool man... thanks... should I just put that on a search? can you possibly link me to that thread? so add the females first before I add the other pair of wrasses right?!?

LOL! Yes, I remember yours! :D A meant a few females! I am sure you are VERY anxious to get that 110 rolling now.
sure do!!! I already spoke with LFS regarding ordering the HI Flame females... makes me wanna clean the back glass... LoLz!!!

nellahtes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a harem of 1 supermale, 1 submale, and 5 females. i bought the SM and submale(was suppose to be a female) as a pair and added the females later. i didnt have any issues with them at all but that was just me.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a harem of 1 supermale, 1 submale, and 5 females. i bought the SM and submale(was suppose to be a female) as a pair and added the females later. i didnt have any issues with them at all but that was just me.
cool.. good to know... :)

is the submale in check by the supermale? and are the other 5 females remaining females or any of them changing at all? that's probably what I'll end up having... 5 females with the 1 male... :)

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
marvin to answer your q's i would add the females first..but also keep in mind that with alot of fairys the females will be more aggressive than male..i would add the pair of Rhomboids as my first fairys to the tank..both the male and females are one of the least aggrssive of fairys...then the lineatus not long after that if you have both the rhomboid and lineatus pairs i would add them at the same time if not then i would go, rhomboid, lineatus, and then the flames...i would go with one male and 5 females..and try to get the females in diffrent sizes if u can that will also help cut down on aggression

nellahtes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i ended up selling them.... the male kept everyone in check, he ran the show. and no females showed any change at all.

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the flames are the least aggressive fairy wrasses that I've had. I wouldn't add the flames last. I had to remove a male lineatus in a 125 gallon because it wouldn't leave my super male flame alone. I think you will have aggression problems in that size of a tank with all those fairy wrasses.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back