Harlequin pipefish

fu manchu.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a clownfish harem tank with some splendid garden eels. I saw some harlequin/ornate ghost pipefish for sale. i have looked everywhere but there is no information on how to care for them. does anybody have any information on these?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a clownfish harem tank with some splendid garden eels. I saw some harlequin/ornate ghost pipefish for sale. i have looked everywhere but there is no information on how to care for them. does anybody have any information on these?
Pipefish are similar to seahorses in terms of feeding requirements, ie: calanus, brine, small mysis. They prefer low flow.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipefish and ghost pipefish are not one in the same group. Pipefish are easily maintained in captivity with a healty mature reef tank.

Over the decades I have tried the ghost pipefish numerous times. And with live brine, live black worms, live mysis, frozen anything, fresh seafood --- I have never gotten them to make it more than about 10 days in captivity.

On the other hand I have kept Blue Striped Pipefish and Janss for years and years. And had lots of success with dragon faced pipe fish - althought it seems their lifespan is not as long as the Janns.

So I have the right environment to keep pipefish happy and healthy long term, and yet have had zero success with the Ghost Pipes.

Dave B

OP
OP
fu manchu.

fu manchu.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pipefish and ghost pipefish are not one in the same group. Pipefish are easily maintained in captivity with a healty mature reef tank.

Over the decades I have tried the ghost pipefish numerous times. And with live brine, live black worms, live mysis, frozen anything, fresh seafood --- I have never gotten them to make it more than about 10 days in captivity.

On the other hand I have kept Blue Striped Pipefish and Janss for years and years. And had lots of success with dragon faced pipe fish - althought it seems their lifespan is not as long as the Janns.

So I have the right environment to keep pipefish happy and healthy long term, and yet have had zero success with the Ghost Pipes. Yeah

Dave B
Thanks

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 168 73.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back