Harlequin serpent star lost an arm

  • Thread starter Thread starter User
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 15, 2017
Messages
4,522
Reaction score
7,100
What state or country do you live in
Georgia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently got a nice harlequin serpent star.
When I was giving it a look over prior to QT, I noticed a tiny embedded pyramid snail about 2” down one the arms, away from the body. I pinched it off and got rid, and could see a small wound on the arm. Little red lines.

Anyway, today, I’m rinsing it 5 times in order to move it to the DT and that arm detached right where that snail was formerly attached. I’m assuming it rejected the arm due to the irritation from the snail. So, I have a 4 armed harlequin serpent star in DT (immediately went in search of a dark book and for herself situated) and an arm in a cup of water.

Anyone know if a serpent star arm can regenerate a new body? I know some starfish arms contain each bough vital organs that the can, but unsure if serpent stars are in that class.

Toss it in the trash, or back in QT to see what happens?

Cheers
 
The arm wont regenerate but the star will.grow a new arm.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 12 24.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 2 4.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new