Harlequin shrimp died...:(

Reef Keeper 18

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 28, 2011
Messages
611
Reaction score
0
Location
Outside Buffalo NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i had bought a pair of harlequins a few weeks ago.... and one just suddenly died. I had a sand sifting starfish that i put in there and the pair completely devoured it. Water parameters are normal everythings fine... except for the fact that the shrimps dead.. is there any way i could get it to pair up with a different harlequin?
 
Are you sure it's not a molt?


____________________________
Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk
 
+1 on molt but if its not that's strange I know I had one that dies because of lack of food but I was young into reefing and well inexperienced now I have one that I feed everyother day
 
i fed them one starfish in the past two weeks ish. more or less. it was atleast 5x the size of the shrimp/ and yeah its dead because i saw the exoskeleton all picked out except for the eyes.
 
Same situation happened with my pair. Had the pair for over a year. I kept them well fed. A few days after I put a new starfish in for them, one of the shrimp disappeared. Never found the missing shrimp but the other one is out and about eating. I dont know what happened.
 
I'm sure it's possible, throw them in a small holding tank together. either wait for them to eventually pair or throw a star in there and watch them tug-of-war to the death. lol jp
 
so i had bought a pair of harlequins a few weeks ago.... and one just suddenly died. I had a sand sifting starfish that i put in there and the pair completely devoured it. Water parameters are normal everythings fine... except for the fact that the shrimps dead.. is there any way i could get it to pair up with a different harlequin?
I had the same experience. I had a mated pair that were wonderful. One day one got slow and died. Its mate sat outside of its hiding place and watched the snails and crabs devour it . The next day the second one was dead. They had been eating a chocolate chip that had only one leg eaten at the time of the deaths. I had dosed some peroxide around that time and wonder if that did it.
 
I had the same experience. I had a mated pair that were wonderful. One day one got slow and died. Its mate sat outside of its hiding place and watched the snails and crabs devour it . The next day the second one was dead. They had been eating a chocolate chip that had only one leg eaten at the time of the deaths. I had dosed some peroxide around that time and wonder if that did it.
Um,, do you know you are responding to a thread that is 11 years old? If anyone replies they are truly OG reefers
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new