Harlequin Shrimp Feeding?

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got my harlequin shrimp and a cc starfish reading to feed. I have done my research on them and planning to feed the little guy a whole cc starfish. However, on the first day I put in the shrimp and the starfish, the shrimp starts to hide in a cave and the cc climbs on the glass, I then took the cc to my refugium because I am worried that it might roam around and hurt my corals before my shrimp finds it. How exactly will the shrimp eat the starfish? I know that the shrimp will flip the starfish around, does that mean the starfish won't be able to move at all? Should I be worried for the starfish to roam around even when the shrimp finds it and start to eats it? I mean, the shrimp is not going to eat the starfish 24/7.

OP
OP
JayChen

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at this little guy, how beautiful! I didn't realize he's missing a claw until I was doing the acclimation but I decided to keep him because it will grow back eventually.

IMG_20200204_002255.jpg

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cc starfish does roam and he does not just lie on his back, sometimes with the shrimp riding on his back. I have a separate tank so the CC starfish does not harm the corals.

OP
OP
JayChen

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cc starfish does roam and he does not just lie on his back, sometimes with the shrimp riding on his back. I have a separate tank so the CC starfish does not harm the corals.
Huhh, I guess I need to chop down the starfish

Onajoyride

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always fed whole starfish. Once the Harlequin finds the cc it irritates all the sucker feet and it cant move. Then mine drags it back to it lair and eats it. I can say that I wait a few days for the Harlequin to roam the tank looking for food before I introduce the cc.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Allow shrimp to acclimate. Took mine 4 days before he went to work. I wont give him a choc chip until I see all asterina gone otherwise it will focus on CC and let the asterina run loose (the reason I bought him)

OP
OP
JayChen

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Allow shrimp to acclimate. Took mine 4 days before he went to work. I wont give him a choc chip until I see all asterina gone otherwise it will focus on CC and let the asterina run loose (the reason I bought him)
I don't have any asterina, I got the shrimp because it's beautiful and the hunting behavior haha

OP
OP
JayChen

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will go right after it. He's an expensive shrimp to keep. The feeding bill is crazy.
I think I should be okay, a whole CC star should last about 2 to 3 weeks and it costs me $7 from a LFS

OP
OP
JayChen

JayChen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G
I have always fed whole starfish. Once the Harlequin finds the cc it irritates all the sucker feet and it cant move. Then mine drags it back to it lair and eats it. I can say that I wait a few days for the Harlequin to roam the tank looking for food before I introduce the cc.
Good to hear that

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have locals that can usually keep me in asterinas. if not I buy it some chocolate.
Harlie road this one all the way up to the top of my 150 X Tall.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back