Harlequin Tusk not eating

Sstadler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So starting from the beginning, I have been keeping an eye on this Australian tusk at my LFS for approx 6 weeks. Around 3 weeks ago i began asking the LFS to feed him infront of me. They told me that he is very docile compared to the other tusk they had that was very aggressive. So I did the same thing this week and last week. Still not actively eating when served food. However, the thought was that how could this fish survive 6 weeks without eating any food? Especially after going through quarantine?

Well here’s the dilemma now. I brought the fish home. He’s been here for 5 days and I am almost certain he has not eaten any food. He is in QT with a copperband. Ironically, the CB is eating like it’s going out of style and the tusk shows no interest in anything. I have tried fresh raw shrimp, scallops, two kinda of mysis, PE mysis, two kinds of brine shrimp, clam on a half shell, blood worms, squid, pellets, flake. He shows NO interest in anything. Even tried tying a piece of shrimp to fishing line and hanging it from the top of the tank. No interest...

But he is swimming around. Doesn’t shy away when I approach the tank. Isn’t breathing heavy and appears healthy. I just don’t understand why he won’t eat. I would honestly feel so defeated if this fish starved to death. I’m open to anything really. Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite their looks, they are as a rule incredibly shy fish, it maybe intimidated by the copperband,i would suggest if possible to qt it on its own.

OP
OP
Sstadler

Sstadler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Despite their looks, they are as a rule incredibly shy fish, it maybe intimidated by the copperband,i would suggest if possible to qt it on its own.
You think that’s possible? The CB is less than a 1/4 the size of the HT.

OP
OP
Sstadler

Sstadler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to try is live food.
No source of live food near me. Unless I grab some hermits out of one of my displays...
He has somewhere to hide, he would also be careful jumping out of the water, mine liked worms
There are large pieces of PVC in the QT that he goes in an out of some times. There is a lid on the QT as well...

windemerejack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine used to love cooked shrimp, chopped up into bitesize pieces, chopped mussels and chopped cockles, worth a try trying those.

OP
OP
Sstadler

Sstadler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feeder shrimp, brine shrimp, bloodworm, etc.
If feeder shrimp i suggest gut loading them with pellet food for nutrition
I will call around and see. Would it be a bad idea to grab one of my 200 hermits in one of my displays and toss one in there in the meantime?

Funlad3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't, I'd give silversides a try. We would get these guys in at the shop I used to work at, and they'd frequently take out live damsels or firefish if we didn't remove all of them.

OP
OP
Sstadler

Sstadler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t imagine this fish starving itself to death... I’m hoping for the best. Gonna keep food in there. I’ve kept the lights in the room dim to try and not stress him out. I have no other options.. will keep you all updated..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back