Harvesting algae

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, stupid question, answer is simple, at first, but....

I have fuge with chaeto, wich grows great, and i harvest it weekly.

But, also in fuge, i have some pieces of rock, wich is totaly covered in green algae..... Interesting, same green algae only apears on back glass, some patches, i remove them by scraping now and then.....

I know several ways to eliminate that green algae from rock in sump, but, i wonder - what is the best, do i even need to remove it, or just let it grow in sump?

Of course, i want to preserve all microfauna that is in rock.....

Ideas?

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, stupid question, answer is simple, at first, but....

I have fuge with chaeto, wich grows great, and i harvest it weekly.

But, also in fuge, i have some pieces of rock, wich is totaly covered in green algae..... Interesting, same green algae only apears on back glass, some patches, i remove them by scraping now and then.....

I know several ways to eliminate that green algae from rock in sump, but, i wonder - what is the best, do i even need to remove it, or just let it grow in sump?

Of course, i want to preserve all microfauna that is in rock.....

Ideas?
Well in my opinion I would leave it be in your sump. Eventually it will probably starve do to your cheato that’s in there and besides if it’s in your sump it’s not harming anything in fact it’s actually helping take out waste!! I would not let it grow in your display tank but the sump shouldn’t be a problem!

OP
OP
Koh23

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tought the same, my only concern is that it somehow dont leach captured no&po back to water, to fuel again her own growth....

Testing shows 0 po4 (ok, its not 0, but undetectable) and very low 0,5-2 no3 constantly, so i figure that chaeto does its thing, weekly i throw around 1kg of chaeto, it grows like crazy, that's why puzzles me, why green algae grow....

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 141 73.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back