Harvesting Ulva, making safe

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have access to an unlimited supply of natural Ulva 5 minutes from my house. I would like to begin collecting it to use to supplement feeding of my fish.

Is there anything precaution I would need to take to make it safe to feed, beyond a normal coral dip?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine soak it in some fresh RO no coral dip needed... It grows pretty crazy so if you have a extra 10g you can get a starter piece and cultivate your own without worries.
BTW where is this unlimited supply? Exactly? There is a bunch over by the marina in SP but I don't feel the water is very clean over there.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew some in my fuge, it just got out of control. I think the real issue would be, being in the DT it would start growing there. which would be ok if your fish could keep up. But at the same time you would be sapping nutrients from your system, which in a high nutrient system it would be great. Then you would have even faster growth, but in a lower nutrient system you may bottom out your system

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would imagine soak it in some fresh RO no coral dip needed... It grows pretty crazy so if you have a extra 10g you can get a starter piece and cultivate your own without worries.
BTW where is this unlimited supply? Exactly? There is a bunch over by the marina in SP but I don't feel the water is very clean over there.
I live close to Alamitos Bay. The water there is probably not the greatest, but I am not sure how much it matters, especially if I go the grab some to start and culture my own method. There is a ton of marine life in the bay, from Jellyfish to a colony of seahorses.

I do have ideas about setting up a few 55g barrels to culture phyto, pods, and some algae, but I haven't quite got it started yet. I do have the barrels though... maybe next week. I have a spot on the side of the house that would be perfect for it.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live close to Alamitos Bay. The water there is probably not the greatest, but I am not sure how much it matters, especially if I go the grab some to start and culture my own method. There is a ton of marine life in the bay, from Jellyfish to a colony of seahorses.

I do have ideas about setting up a few 55g barrels to culture phyto, pods, and some algae, but I haven't quite got it started yet. I do have the barrels though... maybe next week. I have a spot on the side of the house that would be perfect for it.
Yes we do the electric boats there on holidays.
sounds like a great project! DM me when you are ready and I will tell you where to get so bulletproof Phyto from.

Back