Has anyone actually successfully beaten clove polyps?

tcwoodrn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this has been discussed in a lot of areas, but has anyone actually had success in eradicating blue clove polyps from their tank?

I have a tank that’s about nine months old. Unfortunately, one of the first corals I put in there must have had polyps on the plug. I’m not new to the hobby, I was just out for a while so once I saw them, I knew it was bad and I isolated the plug. Unfortunately, it looks like the damage was done at that point. About two months ago I pulled all the rock that had polyps and cut anything close to them out of the rock with substantial margins. It shook up the tank but other than cyano it has settled. A few nights ago I found some polyps on the main rock structure on top of a large rock. It was 3-4 young polyps. I decided to try coating them in super glue and sand mixture. Today I went down there and it appears I triggered them to explode. I now have dozens of very tiny new polyps in about a 3 inch radius from where I glued. It is so defeating.

I could remove the rock but it’s a large rock. My tank is a 55g cube so removing this rock would remove 30% or more of the structure I have. It seems like my only option at this point but I thought asking if anyone else has succeeded would be the last step before tearing it up again.

Any help is appreciated.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of purple ones right now. A frag came in with a few and that area now has a few dozen. Not out of control, but getting there. I did cover them with epoxy a while back, but that, maybe, slowed them down, but didn't really make a difference. Just last night I hit them with kalk paste. We'll see if that makes a difference.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pyramid butterfly took care of them for me, along with all the pulsing Xenia.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used aiptasia x on them and it had no effect. Is F different?
I have had success with Aiptasia X. I had to turn off tank flow and let it sit for 30 minutes. Then siphon out with a turkey baster.

Nalini Akolekar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a rip clean in January to get rid of my clove polyps
I am doing same thing now. I battled these monsters for years and finally gave up. Emptying my tank and replacing everything. Any suggestions about what I can do to disinfect the entire set up. Can I fill with fresh water and run the tank with citric acid or bleach to disinfect then let it sit dry for a while Or would that damage to equipment?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back