Has anyone built a led light fixture

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mike7744
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Mike7744

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 29, 2021
Messages
403
Reaction score
183
Location
Wareham
What state or country do you live in
Massachusetts
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking on line at LED supplier.
Thinking it would be cheaper to build a led light than purchase one.
Has anyone done this yet? I really wouldn't want to spend $800 on a light when I could make it for a 1/4 of the cost if possible.

Your thoughts
 
I built one back in 2012. Wasn't the prettiest but back then it was a heck of a light that grew SPS well.
 
I was just looking on line at LED supplier.
Thinking it would be cheaper to build a led light than purchase one.
Has anyone done this yet? I really wouldn't want to spend $800 on a light when I could make it for a 1/4 of the cost if possible.

Your thoughts
Maybe think through what your expectations are for a light. Do you need sunrise/sunset? That costs extra. Do you need designer wavelengths? That costs extra. There are lots of extras like that. Most DIY's you'll see once you start researching aren't very inexpensive and weren't made with that goal in mind.
 
idk with stuff like noopsyche and nicrew it is hard to beat the price making it diy. remember to value ur time and effort as well as external appeal depending on what equipment u might already have on hand
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new