Has anyone completely restarted their tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter paul.o
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

paul.o

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2023
Messages
47
Reaction score
44
Location
Leicester
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling a combination of Lyngbya and diatoms for months and am a the stage now of thinking of closing the tank down as I've tried everything, as a last ditch effort I am thinking of a total reset, so swap out all the live rock remove the sand clean the tank thoroughly and re build it.
Has anyone else done similar?
 
I'm sure plenty of people have. My own brother is going through this now (he was in a losing battle with brown clove polyps).

Bottom line is you have to do what you need to do to keep from burning out in the hobby, and sometimes that includes starting over.
 
I had to tear down my 240 about 9-10 years ago when it got infested with pink tip majanos.
I had to work out of town for 5 months and my wife took care of the tank for me.
Early on she noticed them popping up and didn't do anything about them, or even tell me.
She thought they were pretty.
So when I got home and saw them it was new rock time.
 
I am toying with the idea. have a red flat worm infestation and I have not been happy with the tank in over 6 months.

My biggest thing is my fish, i don't want to get rid of them. means most will be living in a horse trough for upwards of 2 months
 
I think it is more common than people think. People move, algae outbreaks, etc., cause you to want to start from scratch.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new