Has anyone done an ICP on TLF Accurasea 1?

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day all. I recently did my first ICP test and I’m questioning the results. I use Accurasea 1 salt mix, 10% weekly water change, and supplement the tank with B-ionic 2 part.

The results show a number of deficiencies, many of them included in the ESV 2 part, which I find puzzling. Most concerning I think is magnesium was ~1150 (1400 with a hobby grade test kit) and iron was 0.

I guess I’m wondering what the target levels are for the salt mix, since I can’t find the data published by TLF anywhere.

TIA!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sure did. It’s in my Ultimate Salt Test thread along with about 12 other salts.

Water changes are not great at replacing trace elements and it is very common to see iron at 0 on ICP-OES tests. It is rapidly utilized by algae and other organisms.

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I just realized it has 16 ppb copper listed under the results. Now I’m concerned about that as well.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. I just realized it has 16 ppb copper listed under the results. Now I’m concerned about that as well.

Copper is an essential element to life. Many things we dose to our tanks including food can and will contain some copper. MY ICP result showed no copper in my batch. Might be below the detectable limits of OES though. Red Sea Blue was the only salt I tested that showed detectable copper

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper is an essential element to life. Many things we dose to our tanks including food can and will contain some copper. MY ICP result showed no copper in my batch. Might be below the detectable limits of OES though. Red Sea Blue was the only salt I tested that showed detectable copper
Yeah my concern was how high it is though. I understand that we don’t know how much of that number is bioavailable and potentially toxic, but according to what I’ve read getting above 10ppb might be a good place to start worrying.

The reason that I got the test, other than curiosity, was my corals seem to be stalled. There’s been no new growth in months. They don’t seem to be dying, but they’re certainly not thriving. So I thought the test would reveal any potential major issues.

IMG_6807.png IMG_6808.png

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If we assume your ICP is correct (ICP Analysis being one of the worst I’ve seen), I’d worry more about your calcium, magnesium, and potassium.

May even want to triple check your refractometer with a local store or hobbyist. When a lot of major ions are deficient, it’s a sign your salinity is low.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it would be wiser to buy a salt that meets your particular needs? Some manufacturers list their parameters. Some like Aquaforest run ICP tests on each batch and publish the results on their website. Batch number, search, and you are set.

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we assume your ICP is correct (ICP Analysis being one of the worst I’ve seen), I’d worry more about your calcium, magnesium, and potassium.

May even want to triple check your refractometer with a local store or hobbyist. When a lot of major ions are deficient, it’s a sign your salinity is low.
Are they really? I chose them because it was an ICP-MS, which I understood to be the better option.

I hadn’t considered low salinity as a possibility. As you know Accurasea is pre measured for 5 gallon batches. 5 gallons, my calibration fluid and the tank always match at 1.025. No stores within an hour of me and I don’t know any reefers offline, but I’ll see if I can figure something out to verify it. Thanks for the tip.

I have been trying to raise calcium unsuccessfully, probably due to the low mag. I began adding mag from ESV today, and I’m considering tropic Marin trace K+ and A- supplements.

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it would be wiser to buy a salt that meets your particular needs? Some manufacturers list their parameters. Some like Aquaforest run ICP tests on each batch and publish the results on their website. Batch number, search, and you are set.
Are you suggesting Accurasea is the source of the alleged deficiencies?

I do like aquaforest products but since BRS is the sole distributor in the US, I choose not to buy them.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you suggesting Accurasea is the source of the alleged deficiencies?

I do like aquaforest products but since BRS is the sole distributor in the US, I choose not to buy them.

No, I wasn't. Apologies for my lack of clarity. I was focusing on the ICP test and the questioning of results. There may be other salts out there that are more inline or consistent. And if you wanted the extra comfort of knowing ICP tests are done per batch then Aquaforest may be a good choice.

With regards to the sole distributor I can respect your decision. I was only mentioning the product because I know they test and report on the batches. Hobbyist of course are assuming the testing is done correctly and valid. The whole ICP thing is rather, well, interesting.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Not all ICP companies are equal. I’m starting to form the opinion most of them aren’t good.

As for AccurSea…when I used them in my testing I added 4 bags to 18 gallons of water. Came back around 34ppt. So close but a little short.

Last week I made up 18 gallons of water and dumped 4 bags in. Got 31ppt. Double checked my Milwaukee and sure enough the 31ppt was true enough. Dumped in another bag and went high. Like 38 or 39. Added 2 gallons of water and for 35ppt. I am suspecting their bags aren’t as accurate as we may think. I only have one bag left but will weigh it. If you can weigh yours, then maybe we find an issue there.

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have one bag left but will weigh it. If you can weigh yours, then maybe we find an issue there.

I have a bag left but all I have is a bathroom scale and an old postage scale that I bought like 15 years ago. I wouldn’t trust the bathroom scale and the other is too small to measure a whole bag.

I did use the postage scale to mix up Randy’s refractometer calibration solution. Here’s some asterisks on that :

I checked it with nickels. 1 was 5.0g, 2 was 10.0g and 3 was 15.0g.

It only goes to 1 decimal place, so I measure 96.3g of water + a little and 3.6g of Morton salt + a little.

So while I’m certainly not going to act on these results, I think you may be on to something with low salinity.

Before the new solution, RODI water read 0ppt, tank water read 33ppt.

After using the solution to calibrate to 35ppt, the tank water read 31ppt.

I’m traveling to the closest fish store this afternoon but all they have to check is a swing arm hydrometer lol. I’m in bad shape over here.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a bag left but all I have is a bathroom scale and an old postage scale that I bought like 15 years ago. I wouldn’t trust the bathroom scale and the other is too small to measure a whole bag.

I did use the postage scale to mix up Randy’s refractometer calibration solution. Here’s some asterisks on that :

I checked it with nickels. 1 was 5.0g, 2 was 10.0g and 3 was 15.0g.

It only goes to 1 decimal place, so I measure 96.3g of water + a little and 3.6g of Morton salt + a little.

So while I’m certainly not going to act on these results, I think you may be on to something with low salinity.

Before the new solution, RODI water read 0ppt, tank water read 33ppt.

After using the solution to calibrate to 35ppt, the tank water read 31ppt.

I’m traveling to the closest fish store this afternoon but all they have to check is a swing arm hydrometer lol. I’m in bad shape over here.

Definitely trust your Randy solution and refractometer over the store. Low salinity sounds like the culprit

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely trust your Randy solution and refractometer over the store. Low salinity sounds like the culprit

Thanks for all the help friend.

LFS swing arm hydrometer says 1.0265. Haha

I’m not sure how temp affects that.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help friend.

LFS swing arm hydrometer says 1.0265. Haha

I’m not sure how temp affects that.
You'd probably get better accuracy judging by taste than a plastic swing arm hydrometer

OP
OP
Doob

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I double each portion of the recipe, 7.3g:192.7g , the refractive index remains the same, right?

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I double each portion of the recipe, 7.3g:192.7g , the refractive index remains the same, right?
I use Accurasea and find it to be pretty convenient honestly since settling isn't a concern. Why would you want to change the pre-measured portions?

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@rtparty or others, anyone notice a sulfur/rotten egg smell with the Accurasea salt mix? Cracked open a second perfectly sealed bag after I noticed the smell on a bag I was using and same thing. NEVER had that smell with any salt mix I’ve used before.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@rtparty or others, anyone notice a sulfur/rotten egg smell with the Accurasea salt mix? Cracked open a second perfectly sealed bag after I noticed the smell on a bag I was using and same thing. NEVER had that smell with any salt mix I’ve used before.

Yes. Brightwell has a similar smell to it. I was told it might be anhydrous calcium but I haven’t confirmed that and when added to water it doesn’t make the same sizzling sound that Brightwell does

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back