Has anyone had any experience with Planet Aquariums?

TangUVeryMuch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at them for my next tank. Waiting on a quote now actually. Any feedback?
I've heard Glasscages is hit or miss so I'm looking for alternatives. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass cages is awesome, so long as you stay in constant contact with them. In my experience it's best to make something different with your dimensions that way it's a fresh cut tank not made out of pieces left over....if that makes sense.

No experience with planet though.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leemar is top notch, I bought a 200g starfire tank from them. Greatlakes tanks is pretty nice as well. Not on the same level as Leemar but the price is much more reasonable.

Dainese954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't glass cages local to u? If so I would go through them. Planet screwed up my tank 2 took them 10 weeks to get everything semi decent.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe MSWT uses Planet Aquariums for his builds maybe try and contact him.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200g Planet tank. You have to go through your LFS, but they make a nice tank.
Got mine with eurobracing. They made it double thick with an inset plastic trim piece to rest a screen top.
And it has a hybrid bottom of abs, glass and pvc.
Starphire front pane.
Definitely nicer than my previous DSA tank.
Silicone work isn't ReefSavvy perfect, but it's pretty good. On par with DSA.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can vouch for the build quality of the SCA tanks. I absolutely LOVE mine and they are Super to work with. I actually ordered a standard one thru Amazon but was in constant contact with the guy in charge. I also have one of their skimmers and it pulls some super stank dark funk.

I have also had a GC tank (standard 180) and it was bullet proof.

OP
OP
TangUVeryMuch

TangUVeryMuch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the feedback and recommendations.

First, I'd love to use GlassCages because they are local. If they are willing to work closely with me to give me what I want, I'm down with that. Their prices are great. Unfortunately, their warranty isn't. I will contact them though to see what I can figure out.

As for Planet Aquariums, I'm already getting a couple of quotes from them through Chris @ Aquatic Critter. I spoke with Planet's owner this week, and I learned a couple of cool things. For one they are going to start offering Reef Synergy Overflows instead/in addition to of their own overflows in the next couple of weeks(they've had issues with shipping their own OFs and with customers knocking them off when carrying them through doorways carelessly) . This is awesome for me. I actually ordered a Ghost OF from Reef Savvy because they said they were back-ordered. I have now cancelled that order after talking to Rick from Reef Synergy @ this month's Reef Club meeting (my first!). I would like a Reef Synergy OF very much, and Planet will sell me a tank with one that's got pre-drilled holes and all that jazz.

I hear LeeMar makes really great tanks. I also hear they are very pricey. I'll looking into them and SCA as I've never heard of them before. SCA's prices seem pretty reasonable. I really want a Reef Synergy OF though so I don't know if they would customize one like that for me since the ones on their website come with their own branded OFs.

I've looked into Deep Sea Aquatics and Dutch Aquarium Systems both. Good luck reaching anyone at Dutch Aquarium Systems if you have any questions....they never answer and voicemail is always full.

OP
OP
TangUVeryMuch

TangUVeryMuch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200g Planet tank. You have to go through your LFS, but they make a nice tank.
Got mine with eurobracing. They made it double thick with an inset plastic trim piece to rest a screen top.
And it has a hybrid bottom of abs, glass and pvc.
Starphire front pane.
Definitely nicer than my previous DSA tank.
Silicone work isn't ReefSavvy perfect, but it's pretty good. On par with DSA.

Do you have a pic of this tank or is there a thread with pics of this 200g tank?
that "hybrid bottom of abs, glass and pvc" sounds similar to the phantom bottoms that Reef Savvy makes.
Thanks for the feedback man.

OP
OP
TangUVeryMuch

TangUVeryMuch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can vouch for the build quality of the SCA tanks. I absolutely LOVE mine and they are Super to work with. I actually ordered a standard one thru Amazon but was in constant contact with the guy in charge. I also have one of their skimmers and it pulls some super stank dark funk.

I have also had a GC tank (standard 180) and it was bullet proof.
How long did you have your Glass Cages 180 if you don't mind my asking?

OP
OP
TangUVeryMuch

TangUVeryMuch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe MSWT uses Planet Aquariums for his builds maybe try and contact him.
I plan on it. Actually, I found out from the owner of Planet Aquariums that Mark Callahan has sold his new 450 peninsula Planet tank that he has been posting about the last few months because he wants a Reef Savvy Overflow and is getting another one through Planet Aquariums I believe. Cool, huh?

OP
OP
TangUVeryMuch

TangUVeryMuch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass cages is awesome, so long as you stay in constant contact with them. In my experience it's best to make something different with your dimensions that way it's a fresh cut tank not made out of pieces left over....if that makes sense.

No experience with planet though.
Thanks for the tip. I'm checking into them next.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did you have your Glass Cages 180 if you don't mind my asking?

I had my Tank for 4 years. It was originally at a guys house in Fayetteville, AR. We moved it back on the stand on my trailer so it survived that trip with zero issues. I believe it is in Missouri now.

Joshua Cline

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went up to glasscages to get a sump built. They took me into the workshop and worked hand in hand with me cutting every piece. They even helped me stand the sump up to make sure all the pieces fit correctly! Awesome awesome people. I've never ordered a tank from them but, I plan to within the next 3-6 months.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back