Has anyone here successfully kept a moorish idol?

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone here has a moorish idol and what size tank and for how long?

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone here has a moorish idol and what size tank and for how long?
One of my friend's has a moorish idol that he has had for about 6 months now. I think the key thing is just getting one to eat well. He has it in a 300 gallon tank.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my last one for about 5 years in a 100 gallon tank. To learn about them I went to BoraBora and spent a lot of time with them underwater. They are a very common fish and eating is not their biggest problem.

In the sea they take long swims, like 100 yards around the reef looking for sponge. In the South Pacific they eat this lime green sponge but in Hawaii they eat this stuff that looks like dying seaweed that covers everything. After they eat a while, the female who was following him comes and he leaves.

I found a sponge here in New York that grows on wooden docks that they love.
There are very few people who kept them for ten years in a home tank, very few, maybe two that I heard of.

This is Hawaii where they eat the mulm off the rocks. No other fish that I saw eats that.

I made a feeder for them that drops some fish oil soaked pellets into a dish 5 or 6 times a day as they eat constantly. I also gave them that sponge every couple of days.

I would call keeping one for 5 years a failure.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Moorish Idol question comes up allot. Here are some recent posts on the subject that might help you. These posts I found interesting and informative regarding the infamous Moorish Idol. I want one.. just will be a while before I try.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread but here is an on-going thread that has good info.

Here's mine.

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for a little more than 15 months. For the first 3+ months it was held in quarantine and treated with copper and prazipro before being added to our main display tank. It's been about 1 year now and the Idol has been doing really well and is a strong eater for whatever I add to the tank. Nori is it's favorite treat and I feed it often and lots of it.

There was a Regal Blue and a Yellow Eye Kole Tang that existed in the main display for a few months prior to being added. I added a Blonde Naso, an Achilles and a Goldrim Tang afterwards; the Idol can compete with them for the food.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back