Has anyone here successfully kept a moorish idol?

ImNemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has a moorish idol and what size tank and for how long?

Corals.com

Old Fritz

View Badges
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here has a moorish idol and what size tank and for how long?
One of my friend's has a moorish idol that he has had for about 6 months now. I think the key thing is just getting one to eat well. He has it in a 300 gallon tank.

Paul B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I had my last one for about 5 years in a 100 gallon tank. To learn about them I went to BoraBora and spent a lot of time with them underwater. They are a very common fish and eating is not their biggest problem.

In the sea they take long swims, like 100 yards around the reef looking for sponge. In the South Pacific they eat this lime green sponge but in Hawaii they eat this stuff that looks like dying seaweed that covers everything. After they eat a while, the female who was following him comes and he leaves.

I found a sponge here in New York that grows on wooden docks that they love.
There are very few people who kept them for ten years in a home tank, very few, maybe two that I heard of.

This is Hawaii where they eat the mulm off the rocks. No other fish that I saw eats that.

I made a feeder for them that drops some fish oil soaked pellets into a dish 5 or 6 times a day as they eat constantly. I also gave them that sponge every couple of days.

I would call keeping one for 5 years a failure.

AZMSGT

View Badges
Reaction score
The Moorish Idol question comes up allot. Here are some recent posts on the subject that might help you. These posts I found interesting and informative regarding the infamous Moorish Idol. I want one.. just will be a while before I try.

Can you run a a successful reef long term without some type of reactor and media?

• Yes

Votes: 279 72.1%
  • No

Votes: 45 11.6%
  • Not sure

Votes: 63 16.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Industrial Test Systems, Inc.
Budman's Corals LLC