Has anyone kept anthias with a porcupine pufferfish?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m wondering if anyone has kept bigger species of anthias with porcupine pufferfish longterm? I saw these very beautiful and large pictilis anthias. I know they are considered expert fish due to how often they need to eat. Can I keep them in a pair or only one of them together? Any other large species of anthias that my porcupine puffer won’t nibble on? So far he’s been good with the melanarus wrasse, lemonpeel angel, and bristletooth tang. He’s more interested in himself, me, and his food haha!

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anthias and chromis need to fed constantly, so I recommend something like an autofeeder to dispense pellets for them. Mine get fed 8x daily plus frozen. Hewbie will probably enjoy the pellets as well...
Wow! I knew they do need to get fed often but I was thinking like 3-5 small meals a day not 8 lol! How do you keep your nutrients in check?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size display?
How mature is it?
How often do you feed? Automated? Auto + Manual?
What quality of food is it?
How many are you considering?

They do get large but not as large as the Pink Square's. I have four Pink Square's in my 210 and they are rather large. Very aggressive eaters. I feed every hour between 0700 and 1800. I then feed a healthy blend of frozen that is made up of LRS nano, LRS reef, and LRS fish, squid, and brine.

If you can't meet the feeding requirement then don't consider the fish. Same applies if you are not able to source from a vetted QT vendor or experienced enough to do it on your own. Half the battle is buying healthy Anthias. The second battle is accepting the feeding requirements. Mature reef with hiding spots, sleeping spots, and corals to break the chase goes without saying.

Again - my opinion based on keeping what I noted above.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have added something. You specifically asked about keeping the anthias with a puffer. I didn't answer that and I'm sorry. I do not have a puffer. Only Anthias :) Well I have other fish but not what was part of your question.

Good luck and all the best.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I knew they do need to get fed often but I was thinking like 3-5 small meals a day not 8 lol! How do you keep your nutrients in check?
3-5 is probably fine for your anthias - I have 12 chromis, 3 anthias and 50 fish in total (hence the feedings). Fleece roller, ozone and a massive cleanup crew...

No puffer for me, either (closest is a parrotfish).

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What size display?
How mature is it?
How often do you feed? Automated? Auto + Manual?
What quality of food is it?
How many are you considering?

They do get large but not as large as the Pink Square's. I have four Pink Square's in my 210 and they are rather large. Very aggressive eaters. I feed every hour between 0700 and 1800. I then feed a healthy blend of frozen that is made up of LRS nano, LRS reef, and LRS fish, squid, and brine.

If you can't meet the feeding requirement then don't consider the fish. Same applies if you are not able to source from a vetted QT vendor or experienced enough to do it on your own. Half the battle is buying healthy Anthias. The second battle is accepting the feeding requirements. Mature reef with hiding spots, sleeping spots, and corals to break the chase goes without saying.

Again - my opinion based on keeping what I noted above.
It’s 75-gallons and a few months old I was thinking of like one or two anthias. Do they have to be in big groups? In terms of feeding I can add an automatic feeder. And two to three manual feedings. I was also wondering if anyone has kept them with a porcupine puffer? I know I will have to upgrade their home eventually but for now everyone is on the smaller side. I know there’s smaller species and many types. But I do worry Hewbie my porcupine puffer would snack on them.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anthias and chromis need to fed constantly, so I recommend something like an autofeeder to dispense pellets for them. Mine get fed 8x daily plus frozen. Hewbie will probably enjoy the pellets as well...
As for chromis I have one in the school tank. Those fish only get fed once a day and I do notice the little buddy is always eating like a beast. And fish typically don’t always get fed on the weekends or one day a week or so is missed. I need to set up the automatic feeder I know. I can’t say I really thought about chromis like anthias.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for chromis I have in the school tank. Those fish only get fed once a day and I do notice the little buddy is always eating like a beast. And fish typically don’t always get fed on the weekends or one day a week or so is missed. I need to set up the automatic feeder I know. I can’t say I really thought about chromis like anthias.
Everyone says you can't keep large groups of chromis because they turn on each other. Yet I have 12 (comprised of 4 different types), and most have been around for 2 years or more. My secret? Feed them! Chromis are like sharks - always swimming, swimming, swimming - so they need lots of calories!

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everyone says you can't keep large groups of chromis because they turn on each other. Yet I have 12 (comprised of 4 different types), and most have been around for 2 years or more. My secret? Feed them! Chromis are like sharks - always swimming, swimming, swimming - so they need lots of calories!
That’s true I do notice that!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s true I do notice that!
I feed mine a mix of NFS Marine Fish, NFS True Algae and Nyos Goji Berries. Everyone loves them - especially the herbivores. Hewbie would probably go nuts over the Goji Berries.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed mine a mix of NFS Marine Fish, NFS True Algae and Nyos Goji Berries. Everyone loves them - especially the herbivores. Hewbie would probably go nuts over the Goji Berries.
I’ve never heard of this I just looked it up. I will say puffers are mainly carnivores and regular fish food or pellets/flakes isn’t really good for them longterm. Some people occasionally suggest greens be added to their diet I personally don’t add any. And I know regular dry fish food can cause health issues especially if it’s all you feed them. Live foods are Hewbie’s absolute favorite and I try to give them as a treat every so often. Cockle and clams are also a favorite. But he will also steal the other food I feed the rest of the fish fish and they nibble on Hewbie’s food too. So he does eat mysis, brine shrimp, and Emerald Entree!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of this I just looked it up. I will say puffers are mainly carnivores and regular fish food or pellets/flakes isn’t really good for them longterm. Some people occasionally suggest greens be added to their diet I personally don’t add any. And I know regular dry fish food can cause health issues especially if it’s all you feed them. Live foods are Hewbie’s absolute favorite and I try to give them as a treat every so often. Cockle and clams are also a favorite. But he will also steal the other food I feed the rest of the fish fish and they nibble on Hewbie’s food too. So he does eat mysis, brine shrimp, and Emerald Entree!
It's more of a game with the pellets. The fish all rapidly swim back and forth when the feeders trigger and then chase every single pellet down. Kind of like a hamster wheel for fish. Pretty sure this would be right up Hewbie's alley, lol.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering if anyone has kept bigger species of anthias with porcupine pufferfish longterm? I saw these very beautiful and large pictilis anthias. I know they are considered expert fish due to how often they need to eat. Can I keep them in a pair or only one of them together? Any other large species of anthias that my porcupine puffer won’t nibble on? So far he’s been good with the melanarus wrasse, lemonpeel angel, and bristletooth tang. He’s more interested in himself, me, and his food haha!
Before my little guy passed he was in a tank with a harem of lyertails and had no issues. Unfortunately I had him a week so I didnt get to fully see (FM LFS had him in a copper system for over a month),

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's more of a game with the pellets. The fish all rapidly swim back and forth when the feeders trigger and then chase every single pellet down. Kind of like a hamster wheel for fish. Pretty sure this would be right up Hewbie's alley, lol.
True you should see him when I walk up to the tank or he sees his food! He does a little happy dance and his fins go flying.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Sunburst Anthias that gets fed 2 times a day. Flakes then mysis. The reef is small 30 gallons. He hangs out under a rock cave most of the day. He is fat and healthy.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the puffer question. For your tank I would say 3-4 lyretail. They are some of the easier to keep and can stand up to mild aggression. The pictilis can get large. The problem, ime, is getting them through quarantine. They tend to be prone to uronema more than other anthias. There is an online seller with these. Avoid.

13775.jpeg
13776.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back