Has anyone tried a red ball sponge?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to my LFS to specifically pick these sponges. I got two of them.

My tank seems to be very successful at growing sponges and I really like all sponges (except the super invasive ones) . These red ones are so beautiful and add so much contrast to my tank.

Has anyone tried them?
1FB0D1ED-271C-48DA-A563-E5A1E0DCCB96.jpeg

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a baseball sized one that is a couple of years old. Keep in a low light area. Light causes algae to grow on them which will smother it. Moderate current. They feed on microscopic foods. The tank that mine is in is over twenty years old. I stir the substrate to get the microfauna into the water column and my sponges do well on that.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Although beautiful and make a mixed reef scene they may not do well as
Additions to mixed reef systems and be counter productive to coral growth.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have and lost it in a couple of months despite doing everything right. Same applies to Red finger sponge

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a baseball sized one that is a couple of years old. Keep in a low light area. Light causes algae to grow on them which will smother it. Moderate current. They feed on microscopic foods. The tank that mine is in is over twenty years old. I stir the substrate to get the microfauna into the water column and my sponges do well on that.
Yeah, doing a bunch of research into sponges, as best as I can tell most sponges seem to eat a bit of tiny foods like phyto, but from what I've seen so far (I am, admittedly, fairly early on into my research on this topic, so I'll try to remember to comment here if I find out otherwise with my further learning) it seems they primarily eat bacteria and organic nutrients in the water. So, stirring up the substrate (which is a bacteria-rich environment in most cases) would probably be a great way to get some good bacteria into the water column to feed the sponges.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I think I saw a similar post of yours from a much older thread! Good to know you still have yours!

Did yours grow any more since adding it?

Last edited:

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red ball, as well as several encrusting red sponges, have not grown at all in the time that I have had them. I have three elephant ear sponges. Two have not grown. The third is pretty unique. I had it for about a year and was doing well. One day it got knocked into an unreachable spot in the rocks. It faded to the size of a pinky nail, then I lost sight of it. About six months later, one of the shrimp or crabs must have moved it from the spot and it had grown back to original size. I have a blue sponge in another tank. It started as a blue vase that faded fairly quickly down to dime size. Seven years later, it has taken over a rock, grew over a gorgonian and almost overran several ricordea. Recently, it has faded down to small size again. I have no clue why. I have found that even if a sponge dies back to even 5 % of original size, there is a good chance that it may recover. It is my belief that when a tropical storm hits a reef, sponges get blasted apart. These pieces help recolonize the reef.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red ball, as well as several encrusting red sponges, have not grown at all in the time that I have had them. I have three elephant ear sponges. Two have not grown. The third is pretty unique. I had it for about a year and was doing well. One day it got knocked into an unreachable spot in the rocks. It faded to the size of a pinky nail, then I lost sight of it. About six months later, one of the shrimp or crabs must have moved it from the spot and it had grown back to original size. I have a blue sponge in another tank. It started as a blue vase that faded fairly quickly down to dime size. Seven years later, it has taken over a rock, grew over a gorgonian and almost overran several ricordea. Recently, it has faded down to small size again. I have no clue why. I have found that even if a sponge dies back to even 5 % of original size, there is a good chance that it may recover. It is my belief that when a tropical storm hits a reef, sponges get blasted apart. These pieces help recolonize the reef.
Can I please see pictures of your sponges and your reef tank?

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The elephant ear in top left is the one that "died" and came back. This tank has been set up for over twenty five years. The green mushrooms in lower left, plus several hairy mushrooms and a blue octocoral that are out of frame are all over twenty years old. The Banggai is eight years old.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, doing a bunch of research into sponges, as best as I can tell most sponges seem to eat a bit of tiny foods like phyto, but from what I've seen so far (I am, admittedly, fairly early on into my research on this topic, so I'll try to remember to comment here if I find out otherwise with my further learning) it seems they primarily eat bacteria and organic nutrients in the water. So, stirring up the substrate (which is a bacteria-rich environment in most cases) would probably be a great way to get some good bacteria into the water column to feed the sponges.
Here is the sponge in all its glory.

Might be one of the coolest things I’ve purchased…and brightest.

I really hope I can keep this guy long term. He’s that pretty!

61089013-7150-46E8-AD68-9A6541562642.jpeg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back