Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worse than a 1:1 blue to white layout. It has more white than blue! That's great for fish but bad for coral. I'd want at least 2:1 and would much rather have 3:1 or even 4:1. And given the 1:1 ratio, the red and green leds are useless. You will get all the red and green your corals could want, from the large number of white leds. You only need the red and green if you have a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of blue to white. I don't know how much this unit costs, but I wouldn't even consider it over my tank if it was free.

Sorry.

Have you looked at OceanRevive, EverGrow or Reef Breeders? OR and RB are sponsors here and OR carrys the EverGrow line of fixtures.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty good from my seat. All depends on what you have in the tank. Softies, LPS and fish would have no trouble with that set up. It won't be very blue, but if your going after that, then you are in good shape.

Wrenchedup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the wattage and par is right for the tank the led fixture doesn't matter cree and Phillips led bulbs are the leaders in LEDs because the carry power and power grows a 3w cree led at 700ma has around 200lm
A bridgelux 100 so do the math if you get a cheap fixture you will get cheap results no fixture is worse than another it's all about if you wanna grow or if you just want to light a tank and from personal experience white light is what grows its also proven

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as the wattage and par is right for the tank the led fixture doesn't matter cree and Phillips led bulbs are the leaders in LEDs because the carry power and power grows a 3w cree led at 700ma has around 200lm A bridgelux 100 so do the math if you get a cheap fixture you will get cheap results no fixture is worse than another it's all about if you wanna grow or if you just want to light a tank and from personal experience white light is what grows its also proven

Care to try and prove the comment highlighted in red? I think you'll find all the scientists who do work with coral will tell you it's blue, blue, blue and a little red. The white is for your eyes, not the coral. And the little bit of white you need has enough red in it to provide all the red you need unless you have a 3:1 or 4:1 blue to white ratio in your light.

This is a graph of the light spectrum absorbed by the zooxanthellae in most corals:

Last edited:

Wrenchedup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't want to crash someone's post with an argument but I don't know about scientists but my Rastas and utters might disagree with you

Coral Dreams

ULTRA REEFER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this will work for you instead. ReefMonster are the guys selling these led fixtures

http://www.prestige-led.com/#!shop/c1vw1

GammLED2x24quotfixtures_zpse4c02630.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I don't want to crash someone's post with an argument but I don't know about scientists but my Rastas and utters might disagree with you

I ditched my T5s three years ago and will not go back

Bill

Wrenchedup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should explain what I meant by white light grows, I do know that blue spectrum is best for growth but I found by using a 6500k bulb in the past gave me a significant boost in growth than before I used it, I do not like the yellow look at all but a Freind said I should try it for a couple hours a day added to my morning cycle and I'm glad I did

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should explain what I meant by white light grows, I do know that blue spectrum is best for growth but I found by using a 6500k bulb in the past gave me a significant boost in growth than before I used it, I do not like the yellow look at all but a Freind said I should try it for a couple hours a day added to my morning cycle and I'm glad I did

Sanjay Joshi did some excellent work charting the spectral properties of different MH Bulbs.

According to his chart, the Iwasaki 6.5K Bulb has a huge 450nm spike which makes it a grow monster.

Bill

Wrenchedup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the same for t5s cause what I have is an 8 bulb tek light with ati bulbs with 1 6500k ge bulb on my display tank but that is cool I didn't know that

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the same for t5s cause what I have is an 8 bulb tek light with ati bulbs with 1 6500k ge bulb on my display tank but that is cool I didn't know that

Not sure I would have to see the spectral graph for the T5s. Each type of 6500K is slightly different.

Bill

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back