Has anyone used Lithium power bank as a power back up for a vortech WP40?

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
Just checking if anybody has used something like this below as a power back up for vortech W
MP40. Don’t want to use big ol lead batteries.

74677618-04E3-47D4-9372-F04B192ADBAE.jpeg

Thank you for in advance for your input!

Last edited:

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blows my mind that they would still be using lead acid batteries. I can't imagine lithium ion would be that much more expensive for them, plus you would get the longevity and reliability.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along too. I was wondering the same thing, but for my gyre pumps. Icecap makes something that looks very similar to this for backup purposes. Having the battery be DC should make it a ton more efficient.

OP
OP
Jeto2004

Jeto2004

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blows my mind that they would still be using lead acid batteries. I can't imagine lithium ion would be that much more expensive for them, plus you would get the longevity and reliability.
Exactly may thought - however for DIY LI batteries are probably a little bit more difficult. Can’t use trickle charger needs a float charger, and more advanced electronics needed for safety. So maybe not truly DIY, but maybe a hybrid

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not easy to DIY, but as long as the power bank has a few A of output at 12V (say, a fully compliant USB-C power bank with a USB-C receiver) it will work just fine.

Most power banks however hate being charged continuously, as do most Lithium cells. They don't have a long life when kept at 100%, and most powerbanks won't try to keep them at 80% since thats not their use case. A giant lead acid deep cycle cell is also cheaper :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 64 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back