Has anyone used reef cleaners

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm needing a cleanup crew for my temporary 36 gallon tank. I know their cleanup crews are based on tank size but this is a bare bottom tank so I don't know if that changes anything. Or if I should even use them? I need to get some snails in there before the end of the week though. What would you get?

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant go wrong with reef cleaners really. Ive ordered from John numerous times. I avoid the assorted hermits though, I've received a few that ate Acans and other fluffy LPS. You dont want hermit shells clanging on the bare bottom anyway.

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used them. I didn't have a problem. The package took ~3 days to arrive once shipped All I got was snails though.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered twice. I few dead Trochus the first time and the entire CUC DOA the second. Took a week and a half to get here. He uses USPS and ships out of Florida. If you are far away I'd wait until the USPS is figured out.

York1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used them many times. One ordered got messed up by ups and reefcleaners made it right no problems.

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a cuc package, and a porcelain crab from him. No problems, just make sure you dont have anything that might want to eat the florida ceriths before they can get moving. They are very slow and sluggish the first few days. Otherwise, highly recomend

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefcleaners is the gold standard for CUC. USPS is kind of falling apart right now, but John will always make things right.

vangvace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used reefcleaners for years. I would recommend shooting john a note to see if you can sub out some critters.

My advice is to cut your first cuc package in half. So instead of your 36 gallon, aim for a 18 or 20 gallon package. That will still be plenty to clean your new tank, but not enough that they starve off and die. From there you can tailor out as needed.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John is great to deal with.

That being said - when I ordered from them, none of my astrea snails made it, and none of my turbos made it. He refunded me that afternoon, but I didn't have the snails I needed. The peppermints I ordered 2/3 were alive - and they proceeded to murder the heck out of my aiptasia - so the order was a success - because the peppermints were the key item.

So - general clean up crew - I wouldn't hesitate from using him again - but if I was looking for something specific - IE, the sort of thing where if that one animal dies the entire order was a waste of time? I wouldn't - too high risk with the slower shipping.

OP
OP
Jl330

Jl330

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I order the full 36 gallon crew if my tank is 2 weeks old and bare bottom?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered multiple times with success, just order half of your tank gallons, sends way too much haha.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I order the full 36 gallon crew if my tank is 2 weeks old and bare bottom?

I wouldn't. They won't have anything to eat and will likely starve. There probably isn't anything in there other than diatoms at this point.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm needing a cleanup crew for my temporary 36 gallon tank. I know their cleanup crews are based on tank size but this is a bare bottom tank so I don't know if that changes anything. Or if I should even use them? I need to get some snails in there before the end of the week though. What would you get?

I've ordered one time from them and wasn't very pleased. Everything pretty much showed up dead. Knew I should of just stuck with my LFS but figured id give them a shot.

Last edited:

ReefLab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered twice. I would not order again without paying extra for overnight shipping. My last order (2 day shipping) arrived on time but almost everything was dead. Packaged/insulated poorly.

I’d definitely try to get snails you know are alive at your LFS.

Dr Jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with them in the past and actually have an order live right now. It has not arrived yet (shipping tomorrow actually).

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an order shipping on Tuesday!

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an order arrive last Friday and everything was in good shape. Pleased with the experience. I might pay for upgraded shipping if I didn’t live in a major city though.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
John is great to deal with.

That being said - when I ordered from them, none of my astrea snails made it, and none of my turbos made it. He refunded me that afternoon, but I didn't have the snails I needed. The peppermints I ordered 2/3 were alive - and they proceeded to murder the heck out of my aiptasia - so the order was a success - because the peppermints were the key item.

So - general clean up crew - I wouldn't hesitate from using him again - but if I was looking for something specific - IE, the sort of thing where if that one animal dies the entire order was a waste of time? I wouldn't - too high risk with the slower shipping.
I had similar experience....had the things I really needed die so I still had to do another order. The one thing I dislike is the policy of $50 minimum order for overnight shipping. For me I needed less than $30 worth of snails, but that may take up 4 days shipped.

The springtime order I did with him is still doing well, I have several trochus and turbos doing work.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back