Hatch closer for an in wall tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul B
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 3, 2010
Messages
21,774
Reaction score
73,633
Location
Long Island NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I am sure no one is going to do this, but I needed a way to close the front hatch of my wall that my tank is in so that if anyone dropped it, it would not break the glass of the tank. When I put the tank in the wall in 1979 I added a screen door closer that you can see here above my Supermodel wife. (This picture was from years ago when I had the Plaza Hotel MH lights on the tank, they are now DIY LEDs but lets not dwell on that) The thing worked fine for all those years. The problem with a screen door closer is that it is built to close the door and do so without slamming. I didn't need to close the hatch because I have gravity for that and the screen door closer pulled down on the hatch so that it felt very heavy.

So I bought a new closer (piston) and drilled a 1" hole in it. Then I cut and snaked out the greasy spring that is there to pull the door closed. I covered it in black electrical tape so it wouldn't get rusty. Now it closes nice and slow, even if I let it go. And it is very light. I added some magnets to hold the hatch closed tight.

I have been meaning to do this for 40 years but never got around to it until today.











 
Better late than never Paul. Well done sir.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new