Hatching Brine Shrimp with Bleach questions

Bengals888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I came across this video, only one and no other info found.

My question is what keeps the brine shrimp alive after they hatch?
The 3 drops of bleach is enough to kill them?
Just curious if this method actually works. I guess I could try it, lol
Maybe some brine shrimp experts might have done it already.

I have had success with decapsulating eggs in bleach and hatching them,
however, the eggs tend to clump up a lot requiring heavy air flow which is too noisy for me.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably what's happening is the bleach partially decapsulates the cysts so the hatch rate improves. It's possible there's also some antibacterial action going on. Since only three drops of bleach are added, in an aerated hatching container it's unlikely there's any active bleach or chlorine left behind by the time the cysts hatch.

OP
OP
B

Bengals888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Larry.

Do you know with regular hatching where you seperate BBS from empty shells. The bacteria or disease it carries is on the empty cysts
or the BBS can also carry bad stuff. If I did normal hatching, removed the BBS and put in new salt water, there is still chance of
contaminate?

The reason I ask is I hatched Brine shrimp previously and added them to my tank, some empty shells may have entered the tank as well.
Over time, I had branching hydroid infestation. I am pretty sure it came from the BBS.

I am trying to reduce risk of this happening in my new tank.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over time, I had branching hydroid infestation. I am pretty sure it came from the BBS.

It's unlikely - hydroids have no part of their lifecycle where they can be dried out. But, they love to feed on BBS and will grow and multiply like crazy with that as a food source, so when feeding BBS you might see a population explosion of the hydroids that were already there in small numbers.

I don't know how big the risk of contamination actually is from either empty cysts or the BBS themselves, I suppose adding a little bleach might help with that (or decapsulating entirely before hatching). I only hatch them in small quantities in a hatchery like this which makes it easy to avoid getting empty cysts in the tank: https://smile.amazon.com/Brine-Shrimp-Direct-Hatchery-Dish/dp/B079C6BN2B/ref=sr_1_4

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 84 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back