hatching your own brine shrimp

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wasnt to sure where to post this question but i figured this might be the right area since lots of baby fish eat baby brine. anyways just wondering how many of u get brine shrimp eggs and hatch them yer self?. is it best to have a tank just for hatching them or do u reccomend throwing the eggs into the breeding/fry tank. also i heard u can hatch brine without the egg sack on them? so wondering what kind is better.
thanks

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never tried it but I have thought about it. Are you going to give it a shot?

laskopyre

Chuck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to hatch them with the fry. Use a seperate hatcher. Personally, I don't use them. When my clowns get to day 8 I start them on either otohime or ziegler small micron food. Brine can cause fry to die over time. Causes a type of shock.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most major reef suppliers carry these San Francisco Bay Brand Hatchery. You just add a two liter bottle and an air pump. Its not the yolk sack your hatching them without its the shell. For baby fish they can sometimes choke on the shell. You can buy the eggs decapsulated without the shell or you can do it yourself with a bleach/water mix (I cant remember the ratio). For adult fish you dont have to worry too much about the shell castings. The yolk sack is what makes these a good food cause its very nutrious, adult brine have very little nutritional value at all. Hope this helps. That kit with the addition of an air pump and two little bottle with get you started and it comes with instructions.

phil519

Got Rotifers?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wasnt to sure where to post this question but i figured this might be the right area since lots of baby fish eat baby brine. anyways just wondering how many of u get brine shrimp eggs and hatch them yer self?.

been there done that.....decap'd eggs are kept refrigerated....

is it best to have a tank just for hatching them or do u reccomend throwing the eggs into the breeding/fry tank. also i heard u can hatch brine without the egg sack on them? so wondering what kind is better.
thanks
not sure what you mean by egg sack...brine hatch from eggs. You could purchase them and try to de-egg them yourself (google decapulating brine) or just purchase them pre-decap'd. It's more expensive but less hassle.

As brett mentioned - you don't need a dedicated tank - just a 2 litter bottle. one small tablespoon of eggs gets me hundreds of bbs (baby brine shrimp).

OP
OP
iretthepirate

iretthepirate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im actually going to use them for sexy shrimp. as soon as my male reaches sexual maturity i plan on trying to breed them. thanks for the info guys

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 63 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back