Hate my sump. Looking for ideas

Mycoolhamm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 3 chambered sump is a piece of garbage. 1st chamber contains sock and heater, 2nd chamber is filter pad and marine pure balls, third chamber has a bag of carbon and the return pump. I have a coralife protein skimmer that I’ve never used bc my third chamber doesn’t really have the size for it. Plus if I cram it all in there it creates tons of bubbles and also crammed it in there I have to put pump against the wall and it makes a loud vibrating sound. Was wondering if I could add a 4th chamber by drilling a hole with some bulkhead fittings and gaskets or any other ideas.

D161CA56-E4D7-421D-860E-F3C2AD9B5375.jpeg

628BBCAB-AD00-41CF-8F63-BDA24C0FB1C3.jpeg

B4B44DE1-852B-44EB-B78A-0621687E512E.png

Dimmy007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the protein skimmer go in the middle chamber? remover the balls and pad. Also make the filter sock area a fuge and get rid of the socks? just my opinion.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think PetCo may be having their $1 a gallon sale. Good time to pick up a cheap tank to use for a new sump.

OP
OP
Mycoolhamm

Mycoolhamm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can the protein skimmer go in the middle chamber? remover the balls and pad. Also make the filter sock area a fuge and get rid of the socks? just my opinion.

Sorry I’m new. Do I not need a skimmer sock and marine pure balls? Skimmer more important than those?

Dimmy007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I’m new. Do I not need a skimmer sock and marine pure balls? Skimmer more important than those?
Everyone has something they like. In my opinion I prefer a protein skimmer over filter balls. Also i started with filter socks and found them to cause more issues then help. Especially if you didn't clean them out good.

IMG_8793.JPG

IMG_9914.JPG

Chilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have only a skimmer, returnpump , filtersocks, carbon hidden in a sock and PO4 adsorber hidden in a sock and a heater in the sump, i dont like too much in the sump

wefqe.PNG

everythink runs well

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my 3 chambered sump is a piece of garbage. 1st chamber contains sock and heater, 2nd chamber is filter pad and marine pure balls, third chamber has a bag of carbon and the return pump. I have a coralife protein skimmer that I’ve never used bc my third chamber doesn’t really have the size for it. Plus if I cram it all in there it creates tons of bubbles and also crammed it in there I have to put pump against the wall and it makes a loud vibrating sound. Was wondering if I could add a 4th chamber by drilling a hole with some bulkhead fittings and gaskets or any other ideas.

D161CA56-E4D7-421D-860E-F3C2AD9B5375.jpeg

628BBCAB-AD00-41CF-8F63-BDA24C0FB1C3.jpeg

B4B44DE1-852B-44EB-B78A-0621687E512E.png
I would agree that you need a new sump and now is a good time to go to petco and get a tank from there $1 gallon sale and build that out to what you are wanting to achieve and house in the sump.

Now you could add a remote 4th chamber into your system but do you have room in the stand for a 4th chamber? Also my beliefs is that a Skimmer shouldn't be placed downstream of the return pump in the remote chamber. Secondly get a good Skimmer, they can make a huge difference to a tank.

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what a Skimmer sock is, some use a sock on their Skimmer outflow to reduce microbubbles from entering the return pump. Marine pure balls some use them, some don't, they house nitrifying bacteria to help reduce waste in the system. But IMO a Skimmer is one of the most vital pieces of equipment in a system. A good Skimmer goes a long ways to a healthy system

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back