OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Generac generator installed in October. Im thanking my lucky stars. This was the 1st time i had to use it.... between the frequent blackouts, 39 run-hours later my tank and i are good.
Yeah, bit of luck maybe ..... but also good planning. Check the oil though. These air cooled engines burn quite a lot of oil. I had to add almost half a quart after mine (a Kohler) ran for 72 plus hours.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, bit of luck maybe ..... but also good planning. Check the oil though. These air cooled engines burn quite a lot of oil. I had to add almost half a quart after mine (a Kohler) ran for 72 plus hours.
Thanks bud, i spoke with the dealer and they informed me to check every 20 hours the generator been running.

This is mine after 39 hours.

1613751779738.png

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing to keep in mind when sizing a portable generator to run your tank is the heat requirement. In the winter, during a protracted outage, unless the generator is big enough to run the house heat, you’ll need a lot more tank heater wattage than for normal conditions. Depending on how far the ambient falls, as much as 3x.

I would doubt many people keep that much spare on hand ..... heck, maybe nobody. My tank needs 1,000 watts and I have another 1,000 in spares on hand, but even that might be inadequate.

duesmortem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience with battery powered generators? I am looking into getting one for my current tank. The generator I am considering is the :

CyberPower BRG1500AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS System​

Any feedback or opinions on this generator for a small reef tank? (Less than 50 gallons)

Back