Have a You Kept a Tang Happy?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just ordered some Tangs. What do you peeps think? Have you had experience with these “beasts?”
(1.) Kohl white tail Tang
(2.) Purple Tang
(3.) Hippo Tang
I have/have kept all these and have 21 tangs currently
Purple can be a jerk- make it the last tang introduced and Kole good and good algae eater and Hippo can acheive an easy 5"

1673215700139.png

Rybki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered some Tangs. What do you peeps think? Have you had experience with these “beasts?”
(2.) Purple Tang
(3.) Hippo Tang

Make sure you have nori seaweed,
they all different kind of tang usually no problem keeping them together. I suggest
Add them all in the same time.
Month ago I add 3 inch gem tang, to existing 3 tangs establish aquarium with 5 inch yellow zebrasoma. It was a Successful challenge.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and assume the tank is a 80G?

will need lots of hidey holes and swim lanes with current they ought to be alright for a good long while as long as none of them are too big.

Agree with with a Nori suggestion and good luck . hope they are small when they arrive

the white tail will likely be your workhorse

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(2.) Purple Tang
(3.) Hippo Tang

Welcome! Glad you joined. Good information already here, but no one has yet said acclimation box - a great one I found is The Shu and I love that with its magnets I can move it to all areas/territories of my tank to gauge how introductions will go. I also grow macro algae snacks, and recommend more than one clip to cut down on fights over snacks (red ogo is favorite with dry green nori second)

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Denvet:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome. I have 6 tangs in my 300. 2 yellow tangs, 1 purple tang, 1 tomini tang, 1 hippo tang, 1 blonde naso tang. He was the smallest and now he is the biggest at we guess 6 inches in body length. All are buddies.. At this point in time, I am not adding any new tangs to upset the 6 crew... When I move up to a 600 then they will all get moved to the 600 along with a few other tangs...They get nori and mysis in the monings and reef nutrition in the evenings.

Attachments

• Blonde Naso 11-22.JPEG
    Blonde Naso 11-22.JPEG
    123.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Blonde Naso and others 11-22.JPEG
    Blonde Naso and others 11-22.JPEG
    147.2 KB · Views: 13

my86iroc01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(2.) Purple Tang
(3.) Hippo Tang
Have a purple, hippo, powder blue and Chevron. All get along well. Any new additions to the tank and the powder blue goes crazy. Purple can be territorial but nothing like the blue.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back