Have acclimation protocols changed?

fryman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two suppliers I've used recently explicitly warned *not* to drip acclimate - biota and reefcleaners.

I've always been a little skeptical that fish are so sensitive to salinity changes. A popular treatment for flukes is the "freshwater dip" where we drop a sick fish from normal salinity directly into pure freshwater for several minutes. Most fish tolerate this very extreme salinity change, even when infected with parasites. The difference between salinity in our tanks vs suppliers is likely to be far more subtle. I am less certain about pH, which maybe could have an impact? I just don't know.

It makes more sense to me that inverts would be sensitive to salinity changes but reefcleaners states in very certain terms not to drip acclimate. Their protocol is really simple- temp acclimate the bags for 15 mins, then drain/net and dump 'em in. I have purchased inverts from reefcleaners several times, following their recommended protocol and usually the livestock is fine. Exceptions were one little tux urchin and several trochus snails, but I got a lot of other snails, chitons, limpets and crabs that made it.

I think some suppliers still recommend drip acclimation, so if the supplier recommends that's what I'll do. But I can't help wonder if anyone has a clue what works best.

Is there no standard?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if ordering through the mail, the fish has been in a bag for a few days. As soon as you open the bag, gasses start mixing and ammonia builds up fast. Its best to get the fish out of that water asap.

If driving 15 minutes from the LFS, its different.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I agree it depends on how long the fish has been in the bag. I personally slowly acclimate fish, but if they've been in transit for a long time I will add prime to their water to keep the ammonia from harming them. However, if using prime its critical to know if there is copper in the water, it can't be used with copper. If they had been shipped and have copper in the water I would match my qt to salinity, temp acclimate and then put them in.

Acclimating is one of those things where everyone has a different opinion. I don't believe there is any one right answer

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back