Have I lost my mind?

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started this hobby back in April! Since then I’m already in 5k+ which is probably not close to some of you on here but if you told me from the start I would end up spending this kind of money eventually I would have laughed and said yeah right......well here we are 5 months later and I’m going through a grueling interview process for a second job to solely fund my salty hobby am I crazy or is this the norm? :oops:

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started this hobby back in April! Since then I’m already in 5k+ which is probably not close to some of you on here but if you told me from the start I would end up spending this kind of money eventually I would have laughed and said yeah right......well here we are 5 months later and I’m going through a grueling interview process for a second job to solely fund my salty hobby am I crazy or is this the norm? :oops:
I think the early months are the most expensive for sure

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wondered why people spend so much money up front. I can easily see spending that type of cash over a longer period of time, but within the first year? I find it puzzling.

(@FlexingFishSticks - And I was only kidding about being crazy... I've spent more than that but I've been in the hobby 15 years).

But I have seen this before, and find that is is usually one of a few reasons:

1. A deep pocket and no research relying on what the LFS, who is in business to make money and not to see you succeed.

2. Impatience. Someone who saw a fantastically beautiful reef tank somewhere and wants to have same... instantly.

3. A lack of good guidance. And there is plenty of it here, its just that so many people only seek guidance here on R2R after mistakes have been made.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it was expensive to start but now that I've reach a middle ground its not bad. I have everything I need, now its just wants.
I have everything I need but not everything I want which seems to change every couple hrs LOL

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wondered why people spend so much money up front. I can easily see spending that type of cash over a longer period of time, but within the first year? I find it puzzling.

(@FlexingFishSticks - And I was only kidding about being crazy... I've spent more than that but I've been in the hobby 15 years).

But I have seen this before, and find that is is usually one of a few reasons:

1. A deep pocket and no research relying on what the LFS, who is in business to make money and not to see you succeed.

2. Impatience. Someone who saw a fantastically beautiful reef tank somewhere and wants to same... instantly.

3. A lack of good guidance. And there is plenty of it here, its just that so many people only seek guidance here on R2R after mistakes have been made.
Haha no you’re right I’m crazy ;). I joined R2R before I started my tank after seeing the forum pop up for every question I typed in google I was like alright man I gotta join this forum. As far as coral growth I’m in no rush with that but as far as wanting more coral and more fish and bigger tank which you know obviously goes in the direction of stronger lights, bigger skimmer , pumps etc I ain’t got the patience to recycle bottles and nickel and dime pay check to paycheck I want it now!!!:p The problem is I’m also a gamer and a gym rat and all the other great money pit hobbies I preordered the PS5 and going to pre order the Xbox series x on Tuesday so yeah.......im koookooooo

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha no you’re right I’m crazy ;). I joined R2R before I started my tank after seeing the forum pop up for every question I typed in google I was like alright man I gotta join this forum. As far as coral growth I’m in no rush with that but as far as wanting more coral and more fish and bigger tank which you know obviously goes in the direction of stronger lights, bigger skimmer , pumps etc I ain’t got the patience to recycle bottles and nickel and dime pay check to paycheck I want it now!!!:p The problem is I’m also a gamer and a gym rat and all the other great money pit hobbies I preordered the PS5 and going to pre order the Xbox series x on Tuesday so yeah.......im koookooooo
I'm totally with you on this. I also game and go to the gym daily. I'll be picking up the xbox pre-order on Tuesday as well. I already got Nov 10th scheduled off from work too lol

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi my name is "x" join the club ,this is your first step into the therepy group :p welcome;)were all addicts to some degree,in good company here:)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people spend thousands on cars or boats or any number of other things, if you enjoy it and it’s worth it to you then who’s to say there’s an issue
+1

Reefing is my only hobby, and it's what I spend my money on.

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm totally with you on this. I also game and go to the gym daily. I'll be picking up the xbox pre-order on Tuesday as well. I already got Nov 10th scheduled off from work too lol
Haha woooo! Man we’re you as bummed as I was about the Halo Infinite delay?!?

ARAJEA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my only hobby, I'm also into model railroading. I wish I could say I was only 5k into it since we started this build a couple months ago but I like gadgets and gizmos. We have them aplenty. As already stated though, you are in really good company. Something about this hobby makes it an obsession (not a bad thing) and its that obsession that drives us. I'd like you to repost to this thread in 7 months and tell us where you are at that point. I'd wager its close to triple. Moreover, are you factoring everything in? The water you are passing through your rodi that adds to the monthly water bill? The salt? The power consumption? The food each month? You may be higher than you actually think....

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just started tell my girlfriend “Oh yea there was a live sale on reef 2 reef, it was only $5 bucks”. Doesn’t matter what it is, it was $5 haha
LOL!! I do that all the time. Luckily I got her to join in the fun and she loves corals and fish too so that helps!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back