OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people spend thousands on cars or boats or any number of other things, if you enjoy it and it’s worth it to you then who’s to say there’s an issue
Great just wanted to find others like myself
Not my only hobby, I'm also into model railroading. I wish I could say I was only 5k into it since we started this build a couple months ago but I like gadgets and gizmos. We have them aplenty. As already stated though, you are in really good company. Something about this hobby makes it an obsession (not a bad thing) and its that obsession that drives us. I'd like you to repost to this thread in 7 months and tell us where you are at that point. I'd wager its close to triple. Moreover, are you factoring everything in? The water you are passing through your rodi that adds to the monthly water bill? The salt? The power consumption? The food each month? You may be higher than you actually think....

Yes I agree! I like to have the latest nicest gadgets as well that are overly priced! Guess I’ll have to check back in 7 months and see where I’m at. Oh man I don’t even wanna think of the water bill and the electric bill god forbid if that ever crosses my gf mind I could be put in the dog house

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I left the hobby 30 years ago. Said I would never do it again. Tanks is together. Adding sand rock and water in an hour or 2. Its all coming back to me. Money pit, It is fun though.
It’s nice to hear people coming back to the hobby even after so many decades have past it really saids a lot to me. Glad you’re back! Hope you enjoy your forever stay

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great just wanted to find others like myself

Yes I agree! I like to have the latest nicest gadgets as well that are overly priced! Guess I’ll have to check back in 7 months and see where I’m at. Oh man I don’t even wanna think of the water bill and the electric bill god forbid if that ever crosses my gf mind I could be put in the dog house
at best banished to fish room :p ;)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I left the hobby 30 years ago. Said I would never do it again. Tanks is together. Adding sand rock and water in an hour or 2. Its all coming back to me. Money pit, It is fun though.
NOBODY EVER REALLY GETS AWAY;):cool:

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started this hobby back in April! Since then I’m already in 5k+ which is probably not close to some of you on here but if you told me from the start I would end up spending this kind of money eventually I would have laughed and said yeah right......well here we are 5 months later and I’m going through a grueling interview process for a second job to solely fund my salty hobby am I crazy or is this the norm? :oops:

You are crazy, but this is the norm ;)

Honestly, I spent less than you did in my first 5 months. But, with equipment that wasn’t to my taste or particularly high quality, I ended up upgrading the entire system 18 mo into the hobby and really wished I had just bought quality from the start. So don’t feel bad, you have probably saved some money in the long run.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started this hobby back in April! Since then I’m already in 5k+ which is probably not close to some of you on here but if you told me from the start I would end up spending this kind of money eventually I would have laughed and said yeah right......well here we are 5 months later and I’m going through a grueling interview process for a second job to solely fund my salty hobby am I crazy or is this the norm? :oops:
I think the startup is the most expensive. We started in August and were in probably 4k

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be crazy, but you’re in good company here! Haha It’s definitely been rough on my wallet too...and during a pandemic and being let go from one of my jobs. I think we’re all crazy in one way or another...it beats other addictions so as long as you’re able to keep a roof over your head, don’t beat yourself up too much. :)

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at best banished to fish room :p ;)
Haha I wish I had a fish room! Truly envious of the people on here that have a fish room! Hap
You are crazy, but this is the norm ;)

Honestly, I spent less than you did in my first 5 months. But, with equipment that wasn’t to my taste or particularly high quality, I ended up upgrading the entire system 18 mo into the hobby and really wished I had just bought quality from the start. So don’t feel bad, you have probably saved some money in the long run.

Yes I fully understand as I was thinking the same thing! Eventually I’m going to want the nice stuff might as well skip the cheaper alternatives and go straight to fancy fins gear! ;)

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the startup is the most expensive. We started in August and were in probably 4k

As I learn more and more about this hobby and progress one thing always crosses my mind and I wonder if anyone else thinks about this as well. When I was younger I used to always want a cat or a dog something I could physically play with and my parents would always say no it’s too expensive to take care of how about a fish tank ? Now I sit here and I’m like if only they knew....

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be crazy, but you’re in good company here! Haha It’s definitely been rough on my wallet too...and during a pandemic and being let go from one of my jobs. I think we’re all crazy in one way or another...it beats other addictions so as long as you’re able to keep a roof over your head, don’t beat yourself up too much. :)

Yes it is rough but rewarding! Hopefully the roof will always be over my head otherwise I’m going to move into the ocean with my fish and corals and become aqua man

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? Ive prolly spent about $1500CAN on essentials for a 20g, and then another $600 for corals . I only have like 6 corals, and one was free XDD

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is it .. I thought I was crazy many years back. But now fast forward and after a divorce, I am crazy again without restrictions.. I just need a little self control or else I'll be selling frags for food.. LOL

Enjoy the ride.

I think we are all the good kind of crazy;)

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank? Ive prolly spent about $1500CAN on essentials for a 20g, and then another $600 for corals . I only have like 6 corals, and one was free XDD
600 for 6 pieces of coral?! Wow you must have those collector corals! I have 36gallon and yeah did not imagine it was gonna cost so much lol

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok..ok.. shameless plug..NOT FISHING FOR LIKES!!!...wanna see reef crazy...check out my build :rolleyes: AGAIN NOT FISHING FOR LIKES!!!but more than welcome to join in for the ride;)o_O:)

AquaArtist

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your not alone, I’m also a freshwater and plant nut!
I put just as much work into my house landscaping as I do my reef tank.
I’m also really into comics and gaming and building arcades sooooo.
If my tanks look good, well hell my house should too!
Can’t let the fish have all the beauty right?

D17E53D0-B771-4132-ABC9-8C65DF3AD064.jpeg D74F6080-00CC-4BEE-8601-96B4648E795D.jpeg

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha no you’re right I’m crazy ;). I joined R2R before I started my tank after seeing the forum pop up for every question I typed in google I was like alright man I gotta join this forum. As far as coral growth I’m in no rush with that but as far as wanting more coral and more fish and bigger tank which you know obviously goes in the direction of stronger lights, bigger skimmer , pumps etc I ain’t got the patience to recycle bottles and nickel and dime pay check to paycheck I want it now!!!:p The problem is I’m also a gamer and a gym rat and all the other great money pit hobbies I preordered the PS5 and going to pre order the Xbox series x on Tuesday so yeah.......im koookooooo
and apparently not married.
:cool:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back