Have serious no3 issue which dosent seem to come down!!

OP
OP
S

SheanR7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria hardly consume nitrates. They mostly eat phosphates. Nitrates are consumed by corals in their growing process.
What about dosing some polyplab reef geneses?
That contains live bacteria.. might help build some in the system?
Just a rookie question

Modest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with the Polyp lab product. I use BioDigest as long as I can remember.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well seems quiet risky.. but I guess worth a try.. I’ll have to source some sodium nitrate for this now.. thanks for the suggestion though.
Why would you add nitrate when that's what you're trying to get rid of? You need sodium phosphate (monobasic is what I use, you can use any of the 3 versions available). I overdosed from .01ppm to 3.0ppm with no adverse reaction of my corals (although I don't advise overdosing which is why I gave the directions above).

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria hardly consume nitrates. They mostly eat phosphates. Nitrates are consumed by corals in their growing process.
My bacteria say otherwise (my tank has always been nitrate limited up until a year or so ago; had to dose heavy no3 to be able to keep carbon dosing with the goal of reducing/controlling po4), but all reef tank populations differ (some good research going on on these forums on that very topic right now)

OP
OP
S

SheanR7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bacteria say otherwise (my tank has always been nitrate limited up until a year or so ago; had to dose heavy no3 to be able to keep carbon dosing with the goal of reducing/controlling po4), but all reef tank populations differ (some good research going on on these forums on that very topic right now)
Hey can you post links to those threads.. Will be a good read. Also i chkd online for loudwolf and the first thing that came ul was sodium nitrate.. Thought that was the product spoken about..

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey can you post links to those threads.. Will be a good read. Also i chkd online for loudwolf and the first thing that came ul was sodium nitrate.. Thought that was the product spoken about..
Took about 30 seconds using the site's Search function ;) Thread has been running for almost a year now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back