Have you ever upgraded your tank to keep one of these?

Have you ever upgraded your tank to keep a BIG FISH?

• YES

Votes: 123 39.3%
  • No but I'm considering it now for a fish

Votes: 41 13.1%
  • NO

Votes: 140 44.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 2.9%

• Total voters

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was Mr. T (cause the yellow dorsal fin looks like a mohawk, lol). He unfortunately died when I moved him to my 210G tank a couple years back. I'm not sure why. He died within about a day or two of the move. No signs of illness or being attacked. All the other fish made the transition fine. Losing a fish always stinks but especially when the fish seems so healthy. Must have been stress is all I can think.
Man that sucks im sad for you that's my favorite fish in the entire hobby

alabella1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I recently upgraded from a 65g RSM250 to a 155gal Aqua Vim corner tank. My corals outgrew the tank really. I had a rough battle with Velvet and I've always wanted bigger fish. So the new tank is up and running FOWLR. Coral will move over in a couple months probably. Want to let things get more stable and all my dosing and filtration online. That being said I currently have in QT a Purple Tang, a White Tail Bristletooth Tang and a Desjardins Tang. Can wait to get these big boys into the new tank!

Vickilouise85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooooo yes absolutely! I impulse bought a red tooth trigger knowing absolutely nothing about him except his face was adorable! So I had a 55gallon at the time, started reading about him as he swam around in my tank and come to find out there was no way that was gonna work lol!!! So I upgraded and I’ve never regretted it he’s my favorite fish he’s so interesting and friendly and his name is Walter

ShadowMan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was actually one of my primary reasons for upgrading, that and the additional space and kit, a sump provides. I upgraded from a 30G nano to a RSR525XL, so I could get my sailfin and foxface, along with some additional schooling fish and corals

ShoalSister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, this described me perfectly. Spent last year buying and setting up a 125 g for a harlequin tusk, my dream fish. He's in there with only one other fish. Full of personality and so beautiful. He's built himself a bunker even though I made plenty of various sized overhangs, passageways, and caves in the rockwork for him. Apparently, none of those are acceptable. The bugger thinks cuc are snacks, even the large Mexican Turbos, so now I'm the cleanup crew, but it's worth it.

Didn't replace our other setups for this though, just added to them.

StewL6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to keep yellow pyramid butterfly and the smaller Tangs around the size of yellow tangs . Had a 110 from my fresh water days that was hardly used. So Drilled it converted a 40 breeder into a sump and last Labor Day set it up and off and running. At the one year mark every is going great. Have my yellow and black pyramids and a yellow tang plus a assortment of wrasses love my Naoko and blue sided wrasse. Happy Tank so far.

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i originally wanted my first reef tank to be a 75G or 90G... settled for a 40B and now i am upgrading to a 75G as i still cannot find a good used 90G near me. i bought a small tomini tang that has since grew to about 2 1/5 inches and is more of the reason i want to finish upgrading (all i need is plumbing, return pump, and external overflow)
Your tomini will love the 75 - I just transferred over to a 75 from a 32 gallon, and have an almost-full-grown tomini (got him about 4 months ago knowing I was setting my new tank up). Ordered online and instead of a juvenile, received a pretty big guy compared to what I was expecting, lol. And they do grow fast! It's fun watching him glide around the big tank now. :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 36 78.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back