Have you had Corals spawn in your Reef Aquarium?

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week i was in Toronto Canada and had the pleasure of visiting Reef Wholesale to film some video. One of the topics that came up with Coral spawning in the aquarium. How many if you have had corals release eggs or spawn in your systems?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took about 2 years for my 1/2" Pocillopora to grow large enough to spawn. I really didn't think too much of it other then "cool" because it's often talked about as being annoying. I have little bits pop up all over my rock but it's done best on my return which is pvc. I have never seen any on the glass but I clean all 4 sides of my tank regularly although the bottom is bare glass too not much is visible.

I have had mini carpet anemones spawn (Stichodactyla tapetum) however never any babies. I only have 2 in my tank and one has disappeared so there might only be one left. It was pretty crazy and I got it on video :

I'm also about 90% sure I've had sarcophyton's spawn in my frag system. It's hard to be 100% sure because I have so many of them and over time they stick to various parts of the eggcrate but and it's possible bits of freshly cut or ripped ones floated away. Since I've never seen them actually spawn just the babies I'm hesitant to say 100%. However I have found tiny babies on the other side of a 4 foot tank where the number of polyps are countable on more then one occasion.

img_0823-jpg.881167

U

User1

View Badges
Does a rose bubble tip anemone count? If so then yes, on several occasions.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these egg bundles when I fragged a staghorn Acropora at work(small public aquarium). But didn't see it spawn.
IMG_2626.JPG

I suspect we've had spawning and settling of Seriatopora guttatus too, found a couple of small colonies here and there in the tank(the build thread is in my profile).

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found these egg bundles when I fragged a staghorn Acropora at work(small public aquarium). But didn't see it spawn.
IMG_2626.JPG

I suspect we've had spawning and settling of Seriatopora guttatus too, found a couple of small colonies here and there in the tank(the build thread is in my profile).
Very cool!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back