Have you tried adding Periwinkle Snails in Reef tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter SimbaAnto
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SimbaAnto

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 9, 2020
Messages
596
Reaction score
296
Location
Jacksonville
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Recently went to sea food store and saw Periwinkle. I know these don't stay in reef temp and try to stay off of water. But I just wanted to try as it was dang cheap , $5 / Lb.

So tried and to my surprise, it's doing well and not going out of water and grazing on algae a lot better than I was expecting.

Have you ever tried this and what is your experience
 
I had a load of those dwarf cerith snails. A larger turbo snail got into my overflow pipe and then the small cerith snails also went down the pipe...eventually causing a blockage that almost overflowed my tank all over my house! Luckily I noticed the water a little higher than normal and found the issue. I won't buy any of those smaller snails any longer...but I probably could now since I put a bit of mesh over my overflow pipe to limit entry.
 
I bought a handful of these from ReefCleaners. Never again. One of the more useless CUCs species.

A day after putting them in, I found a bunch on the floor or on the outside of the glass. The rest probably ended in the overflow and partially blocked the pipes. The overflow water rose, causing my ATO to dump about a whole gallon of saturated kalkwasser water in, so not only did this dilute the salinity but also spiked pH, calcium, and alk.
 
I bought a handful of these from ReefCleaners. Never again. One of the more useless CUCs species.

A day after putting them in, I found a bunch on the floor or on the outside of the glass. The rest probably ended in the overflow and partially blocked the pipes. The overflow water rose, causing my ATO to dump about a whole gallon of saturated kalkwasser water in, so not only did this dilute the salinity but also spiked pH, calcium, and alk.
Thanks for sharing the exp. I will keep a watch. So far not an issue for me. But i will watch
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 33.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 19.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new