Ph - 8.0
Nh3 - 0
No2 - 0
No3 - 10-20ppm
Po4 - 0.1-0.25
Kh - 7-8
Ca - 400-430
Mg - 1300-1400

AIO 10g nano, running with protein skimmer. Fish feeding twice a week, roids once a week (a teeny tiny amount like only 1/3 of my pinky fingernail)

corals seems fine & healthy but i’m worried about getting a tank full of GHA. Is there anything i can do to solve this? Is NoPoX really worth it for such a small tank? Thank u. Any suggestion will be appreciated

569D28D5-C561-4488-BCDD-5DBCECB9161C.jpeg

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, gotta say that you have a beautiful tank. Corals look awesome. You must be doing something right. Not sure if I would go with NOPOX myself.
Just a thought. Sounds like you're not feeding too heavily. Looks like you don't have a whole lot of surface area in the tank. do you have any biomedia in the back chamber to help process nutrients? Of course, regular water changes help, but I like to have as much surface area as possible. Just a thought.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those numbers are perfectly fine. Gorgeous tank, happy corals, no algae problem- you're good on parameters. If you're really concerned, just increase the size of your water changes a bit, but I say don't worry about it. It's imbalance that leads to algae issues, not "nutrients are technically a bit high".

You really should feed the fish more, though. They need to eat daily, at minimum. You wouldn't underfeed a dog to reduce the amount of poo you have to clean up, and the same concept applies to fish.

OP
OP
HumbleAsianReefer

HumbleAsianReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, gotta say that you have a beautiful tank. Corals look awesome. You must be doing something right. Not sure if I would go with NOPOX myself.
Just a thought. Sounds like you're not feeding too heavily. Looks like you don't have a whole lot of surface area in the tank. do you have any biomedia in the back chamber to help process nutrients? Of course, regular water changes help, but I like to have as much surface area as possible. Just a thought.
I do have biomedia at the back sump of my tank. Using Brightwell xport biocube. I do 10%-20% wc every week. Agree with not enough surface area but i’m really not into sand type, i prefer barebottom, & i clean detritus on every WC

OP
OP
HumbleAsianReefer

HumbleAsianReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those numbers are perfectly fine. Gorgeous tank, happy corals, no algae problem- you're good on parameters. If you're really concerned, just increase the size of your water changes a bit, but I say don't worry about it. It's imbalance that leads to algae issues, not "nutrients are technically a bit high".

You really should feed the fish more, though. They need to eat daily, at minimum. You wouldn't underfeed a dog to reduce the amount of poo you have to clean up, and the same concept applies to fish.
Ohh, okay. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to feed a little amount everyday. I’m really worried about the numbers since thats what lead to GHA which makes few of my friends decom their tank. Will keep learning & improving. Thanks again for ur suggestion. Thumbs up

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Underfeeding your fish to try and avoid algae isn't kind or effective. You should feed your fish as much as they want to eat every day, for their health. Reef fish are meant to be eating constantly, as they have high metabolisms, so once a day is minimum.

If that increases your nutrient levels too much, you should increase the size and/or frequency of water changes, or add nutrient-decreasing measures like chaeto.

Green hair algae comes from an imbalance of nutrients, an immature tank, and lack of cleanup crew to take care of the algae. It's very rare for it to result from pure "nutrients a bit high", and when it does, it's easy to handle; fix the nutrients and ensure cleanup crew is present.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Tired, those numbers are, dare to say, spot on. Your focus now is to maintain those numbers as stable as possible. Nice tank BTW!

Back