View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm in trouble with my qt tank my peramiters are
Mag 1410
Alk 10.5
Cal 480
I've noticed since adding them all to this small 40 ltr tank they have been receeding i did a 50 percent water change the other day to see if it would improve its not I just did a test and realise they are high would high nitrates at the high results cause a problem and need to be brought down or would high nutrients help I can do no3 and po4 tests if needed

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm in trouble with my qt tank my peramiters are
Mag 1410
Alk 10.5
Cal 480
I've noticed since adding them all to this small 40 ltr tank they have been receeding i did a 50 percent water change the other day to see if it would improve its not I just did a test and realise they are high would high nitrates at the high results cause a problem and need to be brought down or would high nutrients help I can do no3 and po4 tests if needed
How high are we talking? Post nitrate and PO4 results.
How long has the QT been set up? What light is above it? What are you doing for flow?

OP
OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the old sand from my display tank im using a 1000 ltr return and a redsea 50 led I'll do nutrient tests in morning bud

OP
OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested
Ammonia 0 - 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 40-80
I used the api kit because the old saliferts i have didn't have enough in them im going to take out filter floss and add some more see if that is the issue i was using it more for bacteria should I throw out half of it and rinse the rest clean or just replace it all

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are pretty high. Most people shoot for 5-10, which is then balanced with a PO4 of under .1 You didn't post PO4, did you test it?
Also, do you have fish in your coral QT system? If not, are you ghost feeding the system to feed the bacteria?

OP
OP
L

Lee belk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are pretty high. Most people shoot for 5-10, which is then balanced with a PO4 of under .1 You didn't post PO4, did you test it?
Also, do you have fish in your coral QT system? If not, are you ghost feeding the system to feed the bacteria?
Po4 is at 1 on salifert ill add some rowa phos and clean the filters see how it goes would you know how much to add to a 40 ltr tank bud

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back