having baking soda in top off good or bad ?

ZoanthidAddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon tank with sump approx 100 gal total currently dosing manually everyday would it be bad to add baking soda to my top off ? I know that the evap rate changes due to weather etc ph is always high around 8.7 we keep Windows open costantly any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

kevinsmixed90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you dosing everyday and what test kits are you using? are you using ro/di top off water? what are your water parameters at this time?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a good way to dose alkalinity, assuming that you need alkalinity.

However, limewater (kalkwasser) in the top off can be better since it provides a balanced amount of calcium and alkalinity and helps boost pH (which most tanks can benefit from). It is all I've used for calcium and alkalinity in my tank for 20 years. :)

FWIW, I do not believe that your pH is accurate unless your alkalinity is incredibly high. Reef tanks don't naturally run that high in pH without large amounts of limewater being added. How did you measure it? I wouldn't make any decisions based on that pH.

OP
OP
ZoanthidAddict

ZoanthidAddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing about 4 grams alk everyday nitrates 5-10
Cal 425
Alk 9
Phos is 0 according to salifert and panna checker

Using nothing but salifert for testing salinity 25 and yes using ro/di

kevinsmixed90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do your corals and fish look good? you may want to lessen the amount of alk you are dosing daily until your PH drops to recommended levels but do it slowly (no sudden changes) and also you may want to calibrate your PH probe as Dr. Farley noted above the reading doesn't seem right. hope this helps.

OP
OP
ZoanthidAddict

ZoanthidAddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often should I be calibrating it apex is only 2 months old and was calibratrd before putting in tank

kevinsmixed90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate once every month. I also take a toothbrush(not mine) and clean the glass bulb. also make sure no air bubbles are trapped around the bulb as that can throw off readings. good luck!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often should I be calibrating it apex is only 2 months old and was calibratrd before putting in tank

Calibration is as often as you find is needed. It might be daily (it is, in a lab) or once a year. If you recalibrate and the value is off by more than you will accept, then it needed recalibration sooner. :)

OP
OP
ZoanthidAddict

ZoanthidAddict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now what about kalkwasser I have a few questions about that does it dissolve clear or Is there always gonna be a cloudiness to it. ? Should you clean the reservoir everytime it needs a refill? And would it be bad to not have a lid on it ?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it would be bad to not have a lid. That allows CO2 to continually enter it, making it cloudy as it precipitated calcium carbonae.

Closed limewater containers will settle and be clear.

I rarely clean mine and there's no reason to remove the residual mud.

This tells you lots more about it:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.htm

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 19 28.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back